Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won a starter bid on an antique Chilean Mauser. I was the only bidder and I figure it was because of the choice of backdrop for the auction photos. The rifle was set on a red backdrop, which completely threw off the colors of the wood and metal. The wood looked very grimy and dark in the preview, but the closeups looked excellent, so I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did!

Folks, don't take gun pics on red backgrounds! Anyway, on with the rifle:

I love the wood on this guy. The bore looks pretty good. There's some frosting in the latter half that should clean up pretty nicely with a little scrubbing and some shooting.

The overall condition is a nice balance between being well preserved, but also not a museum piece that I'd feel bad about shooting. It's nice to have a companion to go with my 1895 carbine.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If it shoots as good as it looks you got a real winner!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Heck of a nice Chilean Mauser, that is good advice, taking into account the background when pictures are used. Congratulations on a fine purchase!
Jim

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,393 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind when taking gun photos is shadow. Taking photos in open shade eliminates shadow.

Chilean M1935 Carbine
Brown Wood Plank Wood stain Hardwood

Cylinder Material property Gas Font Electric blue

Wood Blade Knife Metal Everyday carry

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
wow, what an all-matching Chile M95 rifle.
Still with the old-style rear sight (all-matching)., not onverted...
G 3921

Congratulations, Chris

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
M1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm. One of my favorite Mauser rifles to shoot. Just tact drivers with any round Ive tried. Hand loads to old Portuguese surplus. All shoot lights out! Looks like a solid rifle you scored. Great job!
Here’s mine, had it years. Matching down to the rod as well. Got it for $350 shipped off Gunbroker when it was good getting because everyone said Obama was gonna ban their AR15s haha. Plenty of choice then. Now finding a clean matching rifle on there for a good price is a chore.
Wood Air gun Grass Line Trigger

Wood Trigger Line Gas Automotive exterior

Wood Bicycle fork Bicycle part Gas Metal

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
?PORTUGUESE SURPLUS?...Portugal Never used or made 7x57 ammo...6,5( two types). 7,7 (.303)
7,9mm, and
eventually 7,62N...but no 7x57...not even during SCW....
You may have Brazilian ( Fabrica de Realengo,) with Portuguese Language labels, or Mis-identified Spanish labels ( Chile, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, etc)
But a very fine Chilean Rifle.
Doc AV

·
Registered
189 Posts
M1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm. One of my favorite Mauser rifles to shoot. Just tact drivers with any round Ive tried. Hand loads to old Portuguese surplus. All shoot lights out! Looks like a solid rifle you scored. Great job!
Here’s mine, had it years. Matching down to the rod as well. Got it for $350 shipped off Gunbroker when it was good getting because everyone said Obama was gonna ban their AR15s haha. Plenty of choice then. Now finding a clean matching rifle on there for a good price is a chore.
Does that mean you are shooting in the dark?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
DocAV yeah it was sold to me as Port. But didn’t have a label and I never looked up the head stamp. 1950/s dated I think. Probably Spanish? It was good shooting for as old as it was. Corrosive berdan primed,but it was cheap for 7x57. 20 each maybe I paid. Got it 10 years ago. Anyways, I reload exclusively for my Chilean now. Stocked up on the 170gr Hurtenberg flat base soft points before they stopped making them. Lovely round and excellent rifles. Need a carbine I suppose!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shot the rifle today. It was pretty fun and had mild recoil, but I did notice an issue with the spent brass. About half of the primers were pierced and the firing pin looks like it has deformed a bit on the face. I was shooting S&B and Federal.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,580 Posts
Almost looks like it may have been slightly clipped. I do know that a few years ago there were some Chilean 95's around that had the bolt clipped. Not too hard to replace it. I had one that I had to replace the firing pin as it was severely clipped off. It was not in real great shape so it moved on in favor of a Brazilian. They are nice when in the condition similar to yours.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had a Turk that pierced the primer and the got gas ate away at the tip of the firing pin.

You should probably check firing pin protrusion.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes indeed. That appears way too much protrusion. Bob it and re-shape. Easily done with a file and electric drill motor. Shoot for .045-.055. Make sure you measure it with bolt assembled and in the fired position. Nice acquisition!

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 3884534

View attachment 3884535
View attachment 3884537
I would love to obtain an 1895 Mauser in 7mm. I would like to see if I am as good as the Boers were in a 100 meter egg shoot. That is how they kicked butt so badly in the first Boer War. They would regularly have egg shoots with their Mausers. CHALLENGER ACCEPTED...seppin' I ain't got no gun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts