Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for 2 triggerguard locking screws to finish off my 'restored' sporter. Id like to get some original ones but how can I tell a original triggerguard locking screw from a repo? Is there any variations between earlier screws and later screws? I know originals are hard to find (as far as i know) but is there any out there for purchase? Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
From my observation the repro ones will have lots of "sharp" corners and look "new." They also will have full blueing. Also when you screw them more often than not a good portion of the head will be sticking out and you can easily feel it. The original ones will look "rounder" due to age and will have patina on it. They also fit nicely and don't have the head sticking out like a sore thumb.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I've also found a few K98's that had full round head locking screws rather than with the cutouts, but these screws may have originated from prewar "contract" rifles.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Remember too that the "locking screws" are different for the front and back. The front is simply cut out. The rear is more angled with less of a cutout. This distinction was abandoned, then in late 43 the cutouts in the "lock screws" completely omitted, then the lock screws omitted.
Regards,
HB

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Ham, you just raised the value of my "full round" locking screws, thanks!
I thought they came from prewar stuff...

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Nope. Full round start showing up in '43.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts