Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like police pistols..and there are quite a few here in Ky. KSP S&W Model 4566TSW's that were ordered and never accepted and S&W 10mm's for instance. But I snagged a Louisville PD marked Model 10-5 that could tell some tales. Pinned barrel and SN# D1455xx, locks up tight and does not seem to have been fired excessively. BTW the grip panels are not checkered but do not appear to have been sanded...interesting?
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,291 Posts
Looks like the grips were routed for the border around the usual checkered area, and then the checkering wasn't applied. Either some sort of manufacturing error (whcih seems unlikely) or Looieville PD ordered them that way for reesons best known to themselves. If you can find some more to look at, might be able to decide which WAG on my part is right.

Looks like a decent find.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They could easily have been customized by an officer or even been special ordered and put on by an individual officer. According to my father in law an ex-Detroit police office it was common for officers he talked to around the country to put custom grips on their revolvers, just as he did. I showed him the pic and that was his opinion of them at least. His Colt police positive had large target type grips. And his Colt Dectective special he carried as a detective had one of the first grips (cannot remember the name) which had the slot in it for IWB carry without holster for off duty if he wanted.
Unfortunately this pic of his revolvers which he gave to me does not show the grip on the detective special.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
99,291 Posts
They could easily have been customized by an officer or even been special ordered and put on by an individual officer. According to my father in law an ex-Detroit police office it was common for officers he talked to around the country to put custom grips on their revolvers, just as he did. I showed him the pic and that was his opinion of them at least. His Colt police positive had large target type grips. And his Colt Dectective special he carried as a detective had one of the first grips (cannot remember the name) which had the slot in it for IWB carry without holster for off duty if he wanted.
Unfortunately this pic of his revolvers which he gave to me does not show the grip on the detective special.

View attachment 304420
Don't think the grip was a standard S&W Magna altered - the area inside the routed line is checkered and if it had come that way the rest of the grip panel would stand proud and it doesn't. Now - a custom grip added by the officer would be possible (though AFAIK, S&W didn't supply grips in the configuration yours has, and I note it came from S&W, given the presence of an S&W medallion), but i suspect it was ordered that way by the agency. or was a defective (i.e., it was supposed to get checkered and didn't) scale that somehow slipped through.

That Police Positive has an interesting set of grips, more S&W Target Grip-style than anything I can recall seeing on a Colt. What is the gun chambered in?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They are both chrome plated .38 specials. He also has one of the first "paddle" holsters I have seen. It has a smallish flap of leather which slips in the waistband to hold the holster in place. Not sure who made it, I have to get ahold of it and see if iit is stamped. I have yet to find another just exactly like it. He has not given that one up, nor his current carry revolver which he carries in it, a Colt Agent .38 special.

·
99,291 Posts
If the gun with the target-style grips is chambered in 38 Special, I don't think it is a Police Positive. As i understand it, that model was available in 32 Colt, 32 New Police, 38 New Police and 38 S&W. Police Positive Special could be had in 32-20 (32 WCF), 32 New Police, 38 New Police, and 38 Special - it has a longer frame (opening for the cylinder) and was the daddy of the Detective Special.

·
99,291 Posts
It is a Police Positive Special in .38 special. My appologies for not being exact...
Not a problem - first PPS I got was dated 1911 and VERY worn (also very cheap). The "Special" part of the designation was visible only with good light and magnification AND the gun shop where I bought it had down as a Police Positive. I figured out that couldn't be right when I looked it up and discovered 32-20 didn't come in a Police Positive... I was new to Colts then (and am still not all that strong on them IMO), but I've tried to learn over the years since.

I like the grips on it - any idea what tehy are and if whoever made them is still around?

·
Registered
401 Posts
You sure it is marked as a 10-5? That revolver has a heavy barrel, and in that serial number range a HB Model 10 should be a 10-6 IIRC, the 10-5 had the standard (often called pencil) barrel. Cool gun, especially the PD stamping.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yes! I love those PD marked wheelguns!

My favorite one so far, is a Police Positive in .38 Special made in the '30's, marked for the County Sheriff of the county right next to mine. I have many ex police guns but this one is neat because it's the only one I have that was actually carried in my "backyard". I bought it locally too, so I'm glad it didn't end up on GunBroker and end up in East Jabib somewhere, and I was able to keep it "local".

·
99,291 Posts
Yes! I love those PD marked wheelguns!

My favorite one so far, is a Police Positive in .38 Special made in the '30's, marked for the County Sheriff of the county right next to mine. I have many ex police guns but this one is neat because it's the only one I have that was actually carried in my "backyard". I bought it locally too, so I'm glad it didn't end up on GunBroker and end up in East Jabib somewhere, and I was able to keep it "local".
Are you sure it is a Police Positive and not a Police Positive Special (or could it be 38 S&W instead of 38 Special)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.