Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whats the Best Set up for Reloading the 8mm Lebel..I have a Rifle I want to do a little plinking with.... I do not have a reloading set up at the moment But I have a friend with an RCBS set up and he said He would help me if I got the Proper Dies and Shell holder.. SO I am asking for and Opinion on what I need or what a good set up would be for the Lebel.. and some Load data if anybody here reloads the 8mm Lebel... Thanks
Randy L Peterson

·
Registered
955 Posts
Lee makes a inexpensive set of dies .
Joe Turner could probally give you some starting load information
or there is one of the reloading manuals that has 8mm lebel listed .
mcgoo

·
Diamnd Bullet member
410 Posts
Lee provides load data with their dies but in my experiance it didn't work very well in my 1886 Lebel. Board member Kelt gave me a link to more data at www.gunsworld.com/french/bert_leb/lebel_cart_us.html

My best load however comes from using pulled down components from Ecudorian 8x57 ammo and loading it in the 8x50R Lebel case. The bullet weights 198 grs. and when used with 40.5 grs of the flake powder this load nearly duplicates the Balle D round and is the most accurate load I have used in my 1886 Lebel rifle.

·
Silver Bullet member
150 Posts
8x50 lebel

There are 2 possibilities:

1) Form the brass from .348 Winchester (Seems to be harder to find these days),
in which case you'll need the RCBS forming die (expensive, I think $85) and the Lee die set for 8mm lebel (inexpensive), and a shell holder and shell plate (for the trimmer) suitable for .348W. I went that route with good results.

2) Get proper (*) 8x50 Lebel brass from Graf's and use the Lee die set as above. Only problem is finding the proper shell holder and shell plate. I bought the brass but cannot find the right shell holder, much less the Lee shell plate.

(*) The brass in either case does not have the groove in its base which was used to nest the bullet points when stacked in a tubular magazine (A la Lebel); one possible solution is to use hard primers (CCI 34) and/or round or flat nose bullets. In a Berthier there is no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts