Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range the other day shooting my 91/30 which I have shot before with no issues. This range trip I tried to load the magazine and the rounds would not stay in, the follower would just spring them back up essentially making the rifle a single shot. Then, when I would extract a round the bolt would grab the shell rim, but when I reached the back of the action the shell would not be kicked loose from the bolt. I would have to remove the spent shell by hand from the bolt. I know I probably did not use proper terms here, but I hopefully conveyed the issue. Any idea on how to rectify this? It has never happened before with this rifle.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Your interruptor/ejector/spring assembly should keep rounds within the mag well and eject the spent case. Are any of these components loose, broken or missing? It sounds like this might be causing both of your problems.

Keith

·
Copper Bullet Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith,

Just took the wood off the rifle and you are exactly correct. The spring assembly holding the interrupter/ejector was not keeping any tension. Upon closer review/removal it is broken/bent. It would seem replacement of this spring will rectify the issue. I wonder what caused the break though? Thanks!

Joe

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Maybe nothing more than metal fatigue. I had a trigger spring break unexpectedly on an antique Mosin M39 one day. I was at the range demonstrating how well an old unscoped military bolt rifle can shoot, putting rounds onto an 8" metal plate at 200 yards, one after the other, from prone unsupported position. Everything went really well, then later at home while cleaning the rifle---snap---the trigger became all loose and floppy.

Edit: RC Arms has the spring. http://www.rcarms.com/51.html

Keith

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Maybe nothing more than metal fatigue. I had a trigger spring break unexpectedly on an antique Mosin M39 one day. I was at the range demonstrating how well an old unscoped military bolt rifle can shoot, putting rounds onto an 8" metal plate at 200 yards, one after the other, from prone unsupported position. Everything went really well, then later at home while cleaning the rifle---snap---the trigger became all loose and floppy.

Edit: RC Arms has the spring. http://www.rcarms.com/51.html

Keith
Guess its a good thing that didn't happen during your demonstration of how well an M39 can shoot!

·
Copper Bullet Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keith,

That makes sense. These guns generally work so well I forget how old they are! I had already sent Rick Reich an email to inquire if he had the parts. I am sorry my rifle needs to be fixed, but happy to shoot a board sponsor a couple bucks. Thanks again!

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts