Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good recipe for loading a Barnes 45grn TSX bullet in .223rem? I am using Win.748 powder. The rifle I am feeding is a N.E.F single shot, heavy barrel varmint. I would like to shoot an antelope with it this fall, and this seemed like a good way to do it. I have an older Barnes manual (no TSX) that shows 28 grns max for regular X. What do you think?
MM

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Lyman shows a 45 grain jacketed spt as a max load at 30 grains of 748.You should be safe at 28.If the rifling will stablize a heavier bullet,say a 60 grain I think I would go with that.For years the .243 Win was a good Antelope rifle in the 70-100 grain bullet range.45 may be a bit light.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem. Twist is too slow to stabilize anything over 55grn. Using solid copper bullets, I hope to compensate with higher velocity. 28grns of 748 fills the cases to the top, any more will require creative powder dropping technique to settle them out a bit. If the rifle would shoot them, I would prefer a little more bullet weight. Groups are amazing with Win. 45grn factory loads.(used to be the cheap stuff!) The price of Barnes TSX bullets is ridiculous. $.50 a pop! Won,t be shooting many!
MM

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
limit yourself to real good shots,and it should be fatal.A friend took a 225 lb white tail deer with a 22-250 because it was his only center fire rifle.One bullet through the neck dropped him dead in his tracks.A lung shot might have been a trackers night mare thought.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Antelope are small & thin skinned. I agree, one to the neck at shorter range should work well. The Barnes should work better than the light bullet of "the good ol' days". I've had them explode on the neck of whitetails and not penetrate more than an inch or so. The country we hunt is very open, and is private land. Very little competition, easy stalking for good shots. Not the spooky, chased by the truck animals on public ground. At this stage of my hunting career I like a challenge. Last year I used a K31 with open sights. Took a nice buck at just over 200yds. 1 to the heart. 7.5 Swiss works very well! I see Barnes has a 53grn. TSX also. I might try them as well. I think the bullet may be too long to stabilize in this barrel, but there is only one way to find out. $$$
MM

·
Gold Bullet member
4,814 Posts
200 yards with open sights to bag a nice buck is worthy of an atta-boy ! I only ever shoot swingers and put holes in paper any more. It was nearly 20 years ago that I gave up hunting after an especially nasty kill. Totally lost the stomach for it after that episode. "Aim small, miss small" good advice from The Patriot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks G.L. I posted a pic on the Swiss rifle forum last fall. I've had a few of those "nasty" experiences myself. Moose hunting nearly ruined me for good. Antelope is a family fav on the table so I still play around with them a bit. Been thinking lately of trying to bag a bear with a handgun in the near future. They seem to be getting thick around here again.
MM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.