Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I carry my Bulgy Mak concealed I have always two magazines loaded and ready to go. Does that make the magazine spring weak over time? Would you change those springs from time to time or unload the mags regularly? I really don’t want to get surprised with FTF or other problems due to a weak magazine spring when it comes to a defensive situation. Thanks for your input…

·
Super Moderator
6,325 Posts
Magazine springs are weakened by expansion and contraction, not from being kept in a state of compression. Those mags can be kept loaded a loooong time without fear of harming them.

But, most people who carry also practice. Shoot up those 3 magazines every month to be sure the ammunition doesn't get stale!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have always two magazines loaded and ready to go. Does that make the magazine spring weak over time?
I've read of Colt 1911 magazines being used without problem after being stored a half century loaded. Anecdotal, but I'd say "no" to your question.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Spring killers

Stretching will (not may, will) kill a mag spring. So will overcompression. Springs are designed to flex a finite number of times. Emptying a mag to "rest" the spring just adds one more cycle to the spring's history.

This is a tad off topic, but I heard recently one can get aftermarket replacement followers for Walther P-22 mags. Followers are short legged enough to add two more rounds to the 10 round factory capacity. I suspect using one of these will shorten spring life appreciably.

Wolff makes aftermarket mag springs for Maks. These are ten percent stronger than issue springs. Makarov.com used to sell specially prepared carry mags which used these springs and had other refinements. Hope they go back to doing that. CB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts