Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a Llama xv, I’ve been interested in them for awhile, so when I saw one for $250 I snagged it. Of course for that price these days you know there will be issues. Ive had several Llama’s in 45acp, and generally I think they are decent quality with some variation in quality between models. But I do not know them well, I can’t even claim to be particularly familiar with 1911 pistols though I know my basic way around them having had a couple Colts years ago. This is the first 22lr Llama for me, and I am impressed with the feel. It actually ‘feels’ like a pistol, it’s got some heft and feels solid and tight and balanced. I just didn’t like the way modern 1911 style pistols feel or shoot like Chiappa, etc - no offense to Chiappa fans.

Any way, aside from cosmetic issues (would probably benefit from a hot blueing), it has a problem with hammer following slide when racked and hammer not locking back most of the time, though it does some times if I creep the hammer back very slow. My immediate thought was sear spring. So I took it apart to do some cleaning and look it over, and the sear spring sure does look rough to me, a lot of shiny metal at the tips that’s got sharp curled edges and it looks like they may have been adjusted.

I’d like to ask the community if you agree this is the culprit. And if so, what companies out there might have a new sear spring. I am keeping my eye on Jack First and Gunboard, but so far nothing. Also I’d be interested in seeing a good photo of how the spring should look. On the other hand if anyone thinks this is not the culprit please tell me what else and why.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I would go beyond the sear spring and check sear/hammer engagement. I will try to check parts tomorrow for a sear and spring. A poster here Larry1108 has many Llama parts.

·
Silver Bullet Member
542 Posts
The sear spring looks "normal" from your pictures.
PM me if you need one anyways.
Hammer follow on these small Llamas are a common issue that is usually due to the way it was put back together after disassembly. The left 2 "fingers" on the spring need to be positioned properly on the sear and disconnector to allow them to reset. It is not hard once you are familiar with the engagement. The 3rd "finger", the one bent backwards, controls the grip safety being pushed out when released. Before buying any parts, I would reassemble it several more times to see if the fingers orient themselves for proper working. You can test it before complete assembly by lining up the spring and sliding up the main spring housing (MSH). You can then see it it locks the hammer back with the 2 solid clicks. If not, slide the MSH back down, realign the spring and push it up again. Do this until you get the proper alignment. Once aligned, only slide the MSH down a tiny bit until the grip safety can slide into place, maybe 1/2 inch. When aligned properly notice how the fingers are set on the sear and disconnector. Once you see how they line up, future assembly will be a snap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
spring looks ok to me - i'd closely inspect sear tip , hammer notch , + disconnector - follow larry's advice - he also used tol sells parts if you need any -

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go beyond the sear spring and check sear/hammer engagement. I will try to check parts tomorrow for a sear and spring. A poster here Larry1108 has many Llama parts.
Thank you very much. I’ll take it down again tonight and check my parts against NOS parts photos on line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sear spring looks "normal" from your pictures.
PM me if you need one anyways.
Hammer follow on these small Llamas are a common issue that is usually due to the way it was put back together after disassembly. The left 2 "fingers" on the spring need to be positioned properly on the sear and disconnector to allow them to reset. It is not hard once you are familiar with the engagement. The 3rd "finger", the one bent backwards, controls the grip safety being pushed out when released. Before buying any parts, I would reassemble it several more times to see if the fingers orient themselves for proper working. You can test it before complete assembly by lining up the spring and sliding up the main spring housing (MSH). You can then see it it locks the hammer back with the 2 solid clicks. If not, slide the MSH back down, realign the spring and push it up again. Do this until you get the proper alignment. Once aligned, only slide the MSH down a tiny bit until the grip safety can slide into place, maybe 1/2 inch. When aligned properly notice how the fingers are set on the sear and disconnector. Once you see how they line up, future assembly will be a snap.
Ok very interesting and helpful, thank you for making me aware. I thought I knew how each of those spring arms should sit on the sear and had it right, but I’ll dig back in. The grip safety spring was never a question, it feels good and works eg when the hammer stays back it will not come down without the safety pressed in. As I think about it and your comments, I am not feeling or hearing the distinct clicks when cocking the hammer as on other 1911’s I’ve owned. Also this pistol should have a half cocked position correct? I’m not getting one, it’s either cocked or not. What do you think that indicates? Again thank you, after I try your suggestions, depending on results, if needed I would appreciate buying a spring from you. Thank you.

·
Silver Bullet Member
542 Posts
Ok very interesting and helpful,,,,,, Also this pistol should have a half cocked position correct? I’m not getting one, it’s either cocked or not. What do you think that indicates? Again thank you, after I try your suggestions, depending on results, if needed I would appreciate buying a spring from you. Thank you.
No half cockmeans the sear/disconnector/trigger engagement is off somewhere. Remove the mag lock so you can pull the trigger out. put it back together..... trigger, sear/disconnector/pin, sear spring, MSH. Slide MSH up, push hammer into sear, put hammer pin in. At this point you should be able to cock the hammer and hear/feel both clicks... half cock then full cock. If there is no half cock, it isn't aligned properly. Take apart and put it back together. The "tricky" part is pushing the disconnector up thru the slide hole, aligning it and letting it come back down where the disconnector paddle it outside the trigger. For some reason, this doesn't always go smooth. Once aligned, push the sear pin thru. I use a punch first to make sure it goes thru the disco and sear. Push the punch thru and shake the frame. The sear and disco should not fall out. Once you do it enough times it becomes second nature. Once you get the 2 clicks and the hammer releases when you pull the trigger you are good to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything looking lined up correctly with tigger, sear, disconnecter, spring but the now wondering about hammer, it looks warn and lopsided though maybe thats how it should look? Still can’t get into half cock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update. After taking it apart and putting together about 20 times I was able to see see that the hammer was not catching on the top of the sear when 1/2 and full cocked. I believed I could see file marks and missing real estate on the hammer and my caliper did show bot sides were not equal. I made the decision to slightly square what looked shallow and rounded. It solved the problem completely. Though I would not trust my fix at the range, I am confident I need a new hammer and will also get a new sear spring. I really must thank the people on this board who put me on the right track for what to look at, not being too familiar with 1911’s your suggestions made all the difference. Thank you.

·
Silver Bullet Member
542 Posts
I do have both in stock if you wish to PM me.
I do sell parts so any time mikey offers one for free, that is the way to go!
No hard feelings here, I don't sell for a living. I buy and sell Llama parts to
keep these old dinosaurs running for everybody. (not you, mikey, the guns!)
Since I do but them I sell them at fair market value.
It's a way to keep my
gun hobby funded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have both in stock if you wish to PM me.
I do sell parts so any time mikey offers one for free, that is the way to go!
No hard feelings here, I don't sell for a living. I buy and sell Llama parts to
keep these old dinosaurs running for everybody. (not you, mikey, the guns!)
Since I do but them I sell them at fair market value.
It's a way to keep my
gun hobby funded.
I can’t seem to find the PM or email function, I should have at least 5 posts so I’m not sure. Any way for right now how can I go about ordering up a sear spring? Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts