Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
Beware of after market mags . For only $40 each , I suspect that is what they are . Ljungman rifles were only issued one mag per rifle & were intended to be loaded by stripper clips . So , extras are RARE . Price $100/$150 range when you can find originals .

·
9,201 Posts
I have 2 types of original Swedish Ljungman mags . These have the spring latch at the front & lug on the rear , for the mag well release lever on the rifle .

First , Crown/C & B on front edge , Crown on bottom .

Second , J inside a circle & B on the front edge , B on bottom .

I have not seen the repros , so I do not know what they look like .

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.... They definitely had a crown stamp on them, can't recall what letters might have been.

Two of the mags had the latches on the front of the mags in addition to the rear lug. Otherwise they appear identical. Any significance?

·
9,201 Posts
The spring catch at the front was a " B " modification in the mid-'50's . If there is a " B " stamped on the one missing the spring catch , then it is broken off . Impossible to replace . It will work without the spring catch , as the first Ljungman mags only had the rear lug . Sounds like a deal to good to be true . I do not know what the Egyptian Hakim mags look like ? Maybe you should ask over on the Middle Eastern Forum for details . The Swedes supplied the machinery to make the Hakim under license . I don't know if they would use Swedish crowns on the Hakim mags ???????

I found this photo of a Hakim mag :

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/maxvauderk/P8070684.jpg

These are not machined on the sides for the spring catch .

Here is the marking on a Hakim mag :

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=284598&d=1266176043

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Hakim so it's not really a big deal if they aren't Ljungman mags. Now I'm pretty curious and will try to pick them up this afternoon.

The one mag without the forward catch didn't seem to have even a place for it to attach which had me a bit curious.

Will post some pics after I buy them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dug out one of my Hakim mags for comparison to the Ljungman mag and with the exception of the front spring latch and the markings they appear to be dimensionally identical. I'm going to try them out at the range but they seem to fit in between rifles just fine. With the two mags in hand for comparison purposes I went back to the shop with the mags for sale and took another look. It turned out they had four total, two Ljungman and two Hakim. One of the Ljungman is of the Crown/C B with a Crown on bottom and the other is the J in circle with B and a Crown and B on the bottom. Both of the Hakim mags are marked identically with the Egyptian scribble marking. Condition wise the Ljungman mags both are a bit dirty/greasy with some wear but appear fully functional. The Hakim magazines have some light surface rust which should be easy to remove with steel wool but appear fully functional.

After comparing the Ljungman and Hakim magazines I'm guessing that the reproductions being sold are probably the Hakim reproduction mags being sold by Numrich Gun Parts for $41. Just from the picture they look a bit questionable but they are probably better than nothing if you had a rifle without a mag.

It also turned out to be a very good deal, bought all four mags for $100 :)

The shop also had some MG-13 mags and I'm kinda curious to experiment with one sometime. I have read that with modifications they work well as a high cap option for the Hakim. After seeing the similarities I'm curious how they might work in the Ljungman. Anybody try it?

·
9,201 Posts
Well this is your lucky day . Go buy a few Lotto tickets . It couldn't hurt . Hang on to your AG42b mags if you shoot a lot . There are few replacement parts available .

I don't know if the MG-13 mags will work in an AG42b rifle ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.