Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just acquired a Ljungman that I intend to shoot at some later date. I have found a lot of good web information on the design and how it functions. I believe I understand most of it and what I should do to keep all my fingers intact. However, while examining the mechanism it appears that it would be possible to fire the gun with the cover in the forward position!?!? Am I missing something? There is a cam on the right side under the bolt carrier that is depressed by the carrier when it is in battery. Unless it is depressed the hammer cannot be released by the trigger. However, there does not seem to be a similar safety feature for the cover.

The standard loading procedure according the field manual is:

1. Safety to the right
2. Push cover forward until it grips the bolt assembly
3. Pull the cover back, which pulls the bolt assembly with it, cocks the hammer and exposes the magazine follower
4. Put one (or more) cartridge(s) in the magazine
5. Turn the safety off (to the left)
6. Pull the cover slightly forward then back, releasing the bolt assembly which runs forward, stripping the cartridge from the mag and chambering it
7. The rifle is now hot and ready to fire.

Now, suppose instead I do this: I follow steps 1-4 as above but after that I…..

5b Manually push the cover with the bolt assembly forward to chamber the round and LEAVE the cover in the forward position.
6b Turn the safety off (to the left)
7b. The rifle is now hot and ready to fire but the cover is in the forward position

I have done this on a dummy round so I know the hammer will indeed be released. What happens if the trigger is pulled in this scenario on a live round? Other than seeing the cover and bolt assembly approaching your right eye at 100 miles/hour and scaring the *** out of you, would it cause any other damage? (Obviously I do not intend to try it, I am just curious since it seems to be a weakness in the design)

·
Registered
244 Posts
??!

Now that really has my brain in a knot! I thought I knew the AGm42 through and through.

I confess, I never tried it and don't know!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems to me like it would, in effect, be about equal firing any semiauto rifle without the recoil spring in place.
1) Without spring tension to apply pressure to the bolt carrier, I would think there would be serious potential for premature unlocking and all the hazards of that.
2) Without spring tension to retard the rearward travel of the bolt carrier it seems like it would batter the hell out of the safety/bolt carrier stop thing.

Add 1 to 2 and you'd have a catastrophe not on but IN your hands.

It's theoretical but it's a theory that I wouldn't want to test.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It's your rifle but I must tell you the bolt will come out of the carrier and blow the magazine guts out the bottom. The danger to yourself and others is very high not to mention the damage to the rifle that is sure to happen. Sunfish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.