Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone notice how the press has been going nuts over the latest teen with his "school" plans...

They show this huge table covered with a "stash" of weapons...that are as follows, his lawyer, J. David Farrell, "stressed that all but one of the weapons prosecutors put on display were pellet guns and air rifles."

I'm not defending the kid, just ranting about the liberal democratic press that wants to give firearms and they're owners a bad name in an attempt to get them out of our hands.
Teen arrested in armed plot on school

By Jon Hurdle in Pennsylvania
October 12, 2007 12:13pm

Article from: Reuters
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

A 14-YEAR-old boy armed with a rifle, homemade grenades, dozens of pellet guns, knives and swords has been arrested after confessing to plotting a "Columbine-like attack" on a Pennsylvania high school.

The unidentified boy told police he was a planning an attack on Plymouth Whitemarsh High School similar to the 1999 shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado in which two students killed 13 people, said Joe Lawrence, deputy chief of police in Plymouth Meeting.
Acting on a tip from neighbours, police arrested the boy at his home north of Philadelphia on Wednesday night.
They found one Hi-Tech 9mm rifle with a laser sight, about 80 pellet guns, and seven homemade hand grenades, four of which were live and three of which were still being made, Mr Lawrence said.
No ammunition was found for the rifle, a prosecutor said.
Police also found at least 10 knives with fixed blades 18-25cm long, plus at least five swords, Mr Lawrence said.
More firearms were later found at another location, where the boy's parents had arranged for them to be stored, said Detective Todd Jordan of the Plymouth Meeting police.
Deet Jordan did not specify what kind of firearms, or their quantity.
The boy was schooled at home where he lived with his mother and father, both of whom knew about the weapons, Mr Lawrence said.
The mother bought him the rifle at a gun show, he said.
He declined to say whether the boy was inspired by events in Ohio on Wednesday, when a 14-year-old student shot and wounded two adults and two students and killed himself.
Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor told CNN a student and his father went to a police station on Wednesday to alert officers about a planned attack.
The student told police "this suspect had tried to recruit him to be involved in this Columbine-type of attack. The police acted on that immediately and we had the boy in custody before midnight last night," Mr Castor said.
He said the grenade was "not like a military grenade, there's BBs in there" and that it was legal for a 14-year-old to own a BB gun.
"We are evaluating now whether charges against her (the mother) or anyone else in that household are warranted," Mr Castor said.
"I think that it would be impossible for both parents to be totally in the dark."
- Additional reporting by Michelle Nichols in New York

Rant off.... Sorry, this crap just hacks me off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I noticed that as well. It seemed the media made a huge deal about the boy and all of his weapons, and then almost as an afterthought it mentioned they were almost all pellet rifles.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
But then there is the other side of the coin.... there is the law enforcement folks, and prosecutors who stage the press conferences, and stage the photo opportunities to show how they have been doing their job protecting the world from the evil weapons.... who is worse? The media who don't know a pellet gun from a real gun or the law enforcement types that do?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,257 Posts
Both!... They are trying to makie it a crime to buy your son/daughter a gun, "real" or air/electric. The police a displaying "toys" as authentic "scary looking guns" and the High-point is buried amongst them. Next they will be rounding up Paint-ball markers.
I echo the sentiments that the plot was stopped by a smart teen, and tragedy was averted, however the GP dont know the difference between airsoft and authentic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
who is worse? The media who don't know a pellet gun from a real gun or the law enforcement types that do?

Whats worst is the law enforcement types that feed the media with more fuel for their propoganda!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
But then there is the other side of the coin.... there is the law enforcement folks, and prosecutors who stage the press conferences, and stage the photo opportunities to show how they have been doing their job protecting the world from the evil weapons.... who is worse? The media who don't know a pellet gun from a real gun or the law enforcement types that do?
I don't think this post will last long here, but I saw the "spoils" pic and many of the "pellet guns" appeared to be AirSoft toys that fire plastic BBs.

A pellet gun can hurt/kill easy as a .22 or .17HMR/Mach2 at close range. I have a Gamo with 1200 FPS as an example. An AirSoft toy gun can't kill and are legal. IF these are in fact AirSoft toys, this needs to be made clear and I'll bet the attorney for the kid will do so.

Now, if the mother bought the real gun (Sounds like a Kel-Tek carbine in 9mm) and cleared NICs and let the the kid keep it in his room and there was no ammo found, what was the crime if the gun is still in her name? (She was charged late today of various gun related and minor-related offenses so letting a minor have an unloaded gun in his room within the owner's house may be a crime.)

All that aside, the kid sounds like trouble and the pics of the parents make them look like a couple cretins. The father is a felon and was denied a gun purchase at a NICs check a couple years ago. The fact that the kid was building grenades makes me glad me is off the street.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats worst is the law enforcement types that feed the media with more fuel for their propoganda!
I failed to include the Police that is "feeding" the fire on this one. But not all LE's are like the ones involved on this.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Yeah, the media is like that & many PD's around the country are like that. Lock the runt/gremlin up & toss away the key. No logic can support his view on society...

Pahtu.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Air Soft Terrorist

Yes I saw all the Air Soft Guns look real scary to the untrained eye also saw the Hi point 9MM carbine with no ammo . sad, times have changed when I was 15 my mother bought me my first gun .22 from local sporting goods store a lot of my friends who had Dads at home got hunting guns from there father or granddad and yes I also had air rifles as a young boy nobody much worried about such things back then but now with gangster rap and vidio games etc. this mother will probally pay a high price for buying her son that gun.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
You couldnt even beat someone to death with an Airsoft.......One gun, 80 toys.....This kid "Could" have grown up to collect the real thing, sadly, and joined us here.

Hell, my first "real gun" was in my hands at 5. I didnt attack my school, and I just cant wait to kill something either,,,,,

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yeah, the media is like that & many PD's around the country are like that. Lock the runt/gremlin up & toss away the key. No logic can support his view on society...

Pahtu.
I think in this case the making of grenades filled with BBs and other info I have read about this "lad" indicates that he was very troubled with parents who are questionable in their integrity and smarts--a big difference to the more mainstream youth who is given a proper respect and training in firearms use, care and ownership.

My son "got" his first rifle as a freshman in HS, but it was in my name and kept safe and locked up until we needed to use it for pleasure. He was given BB and pellet guns at an earlier age, but those, too were kept under my control.

Now that his is older and can legally own a rifle, he has several stored (cased) in his room and I have no issue with this, as they were purchased by him with proper NICs checks, etc. He is more of a safety "nut" about firearms than I am, and I am completely anal about this. To him, and me, these are tools--not weapons of potential "mass destruction".

The story subject of this thread seems to be a much different issue, from what I have read.

Divorce what the cops/DA/media are doing relative to "anti-gun" and what the cops did to take a troubled kid with bad parents off the streets before he could have done what the other nut case kid in the Clevland vo-tech school did on the same day, or the insane student at VaTech did last year.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You couldnt even beat someone to death with an Airsoft.......One gun, 80 toys.....This kid "Could" have grown up to collect the real thing, sadly, and joined us here.

Hell, my first "real gun" was in my hands at 5. I didnt attack my school, and I just cant wait to kill something either,,,,,
'bou..he was also building hand grenades/bombs filled with BBs, according to reports and had bomb building literature and hate literature as well. Bet you have never done that as a youth or an adult.

This kid was a time bomb "fused" by his bad/ignorant/felon parents. :mad:

(And we know you kill something to feed your family--good and safe hunting to you.) :)

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Unfortunately the police are making a real big show of the toy guns, not enough of the grenades. Like Shy, I feel too this is the real problem.
Guess their little dog and pony show wouldn't have been impressive with just the 9mm carbine and a grenade on the table. Couldn't propagate the "evils of guns" crap either.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
My family and I were just talking about this last night. I noticed the air-soft guns and started looking around on the web reading the different stories. One of the press releases made it sound like the "grenade" was nothing more than one of the plastic containers that air-soft bb's come in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
He had both attempted "anarchist home cooked" grenades with metal BB's AND the airsoft BB-holders that are in the shape of a pineapple grenade.

I totally agree about the cops and their presentation of the press conference. If you couldn't tell by my handle, I'm in the news biz. To generalize my profession, the basic fault out there is laziness and/or short deadlines. When the cops lay out a visual thing like that table, it gets photo'd and you're on your way. Meanwhile, around the world the pictures and information goes. Somewhere along the way, in the interest of getting folks to watch the words "arsenal" and "Columbine" gets tossed in and the actual description of what's on the table gets muddled or gets a three second mention and - bam - a 14-year-old kid has a better arsenal than I do, even though it ain't true.

I do my best when gun-related issues come up at work (or any issue I have extra insight into) but bottom line, when cops are feeding someone who doesn't know better a whole lotta crap, it is easy to just attribute it ("Police say...") and you're off the hook - you're saying that someone else said it, so no blowback on you if its wrong!

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
........... the plot was stopped by a smart teen.................
IMO that's the key point in this whole story. "Law enforcement" didn't have anything to do with preventing a possible "tragedy" other than to clean up the kid's room, write a report, and issue propaganda for their agenda. When people were responsible for their own and their kid's actions the whole thing would have been handled by the school administration and the parents. I realize this kid was not in school, but that doesn't keep one responsible citizen (supposedly a school principal or superintendent) from calling the parents and having a talk with them.

As a side note, the media is reporting that this kid is "homeschooled". I'm betting that's as accurate as the reports on his "arsenal".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.