Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a nice Lithuanian 24L. Unmatching with what I suspected was a replacement stock (no stock disk or serial number). What amazed me was that it went for $2600.00!

Did I miss something? I know they are pretty rare.. and I have one.. but didnt know an unmatched example would go for that!

Any opinions?

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
I thought John Wall owned them all :) I've never run across one for sale (and I've been looking for a while). It doesn't surprise me that someone who has been looking & finally found one may have gone that high. Don't think I would, but it doesn't surprise me. I just saw a Nationalist Chinese marked German made helmet that went for $6800! That surprised me. Probably shouldn't have, but did. Did the 24L go at auction?

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
That's a lot of money for a mismatched rifle of any kind. The stock should be numbered right below the serial number on the receiver ring, but that is not pictured. I wonder if it has been sanded? Hopefully, the buyer asked for more pictures and found out that the wood is correct and unsanded.
Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

I asked for that picture.. and and pick of the stock disk inlett area or confirmation of the SN or inlet.. got a "there is none" on both. Thats why I held back.. What do you think of the stock?

·
3,472 Posts
Hi Ike,
I think its very likely that there should be a disc and the serial number in the stock. My FN-logo 24L (in my avatar) is serial number 20251, only 161 rifles below the rifle auctioned, and it has both those features. One would think that this rifle should have those features as well....but we have seen so few of these rifles in original condition that its impossible to say conclusively what features are correct for this crest. On the other hand, the pictures posted on GB seem to show a stock with heavily rounded edges on the grasping grooves. I would want a lot more and better pictures before I bid on this rifle, even though the action and bands look outstanding and completely correct. Too bad about that bolt!

Later: Ike, I just searched my old photo files and found that about a year ago, a member posted pictures of another Lithuanian 24L with the same crest, as the auctioned rifle. This rifle has the stock disc and the serial stamped in the wood just below the receiver number. This rifle was serial number 52,466, quite a few rifles later than 20,412, the auctioned rifle. Its bolt is mismatched, but still Lithuanian.

I can repost these photos if anyone is interested since they may have been lost in the recent format change. (I haven't checked.)
Regards,
John

·
Gold Bullet member
276 Posts
I posted these earlier, but assume they are gone, can't find the overall pics for the stock disc, but here is the ser. no. markings in the wood. It is 15606, @ 500 earlier. All of these I have seen with original wood have been the same as far as I remember.

Attachments

·
3,472 Posts
I posted these earlier, but assume they are gone, can't find the overall pics for the stock disc, but here is the ser. no. markings in the wood. It is 15606, @ 500 earlier. All of these I have seen with original wood have been the same as far as I remember.
Hi Nate,
A beauty! Thanks for posting this, and especially for the serial number!
Regards,
John

·
3,472 Posts
Here are a series of photos of Lithuanian 24L's which were posted at one time or other on the pre-2010 forum. This first one is a rifle with the Gates-24L crest, just like the one auctioned a few days ago. The photos were taken by its owner who posted them here last November:

Attachments

·
3,472 Posts
Here are photos of another Lithuanian FN logo 24L, just like my avatar rifle and the rifle just posted by Nate. The condition of this one is what you might call "orphaned basement" condition, with a lot of fine surface rust and dirt. But it is a great rifle, none the less! This was also posted here last November:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I would like to see pics of any stamping on the lower bands of these rifles. The FN band is supposed to be different from a Czech lower band (I once read) but these look the same, the band should have a stick figure of the 'gates'. Same for butt plate? My rifle is all matched except it is in a Czech stock with circle Z on buttplate, lower band, bayo lug. Stock has no serial or sign of one being removed. Upperband and all other parts have the stick figure!

·
Gold Bullet member
276 Posts
The only difference I can remember is that the band screw on the Lithuanian is a FN spanner, rather that a slotted screw. The triggerguards will not interchange between FN and CZ, locking screws are in different locations. The buttplates are different on all FN mausers compared to the CZ made ones, see the pics, the first two are FN, the last is from a German stock, but is the same as the Czech made ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
VZ 24's can have either a slot band screw or a spanner type. I have both. There are two type FN actions, the so-called intermediate length, M-24's and the standard length M-30. The Lith rifle is a model 30 despite its M-24 markings and is the same length as a VZ24. (front lock screw in front of TG screw). All the Yugo rifles are true m-24's carried over to the m-48. (lock scew behind the TG screw). Many Lith rifles were rebuilt at some point and put in VZ-24 stocks., as mine was. If a part has a circle z inspection stamp, it is Czech. Many Lith rifles (if not most) were made with standard FN 2 swivel stocks. Google Lithuaian rifles for an interesting read. Very informative, True? Maybe not, but maybe yes!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts