Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I am not sure where the red face came from or how to make it go away. I picked this up for a few small show in north central Indiana in the mid 90s. Guy had this gun (all matching but the front band), sling, cleaning rod, matching bayo, (itself not the gun), frog, and an helmet. I had enough cash for him to hold the gun and all the stuff. When I came back to get it he did not realize I wanted the helmet and sold it separately. I trade to fine out then what this mark was with no luck. I was holding someone may have an ideal now. It looks like the Lithuanian Pillars of Gedimians to me but I am not sure. If it is would this have been for a foreign volunteer SS group or done after the war?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It certainly looks like the Lithuanian national symbol, Pillars (or Columns) of Gediminas. Kar98k's with this symbol have been discussed before and the possibility is that these had Lithuanian made barrels used as replacements when the rifles were reworked. One prior discussion, see post #15: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?284433-A-Strange-quot-Bubbster-quot&highlight=Lithuanian
I believe that is an educated guess, not a sure thing.

Lithuanian combat units were raised by the Germans when the Soviet army was at the door. They had to fight as German auxiliaries under German command and not as Lithuanian national units. SS troops gave the Hitler Oath, loyalty to him personally, not to any country. So, the use of the Pillars of Gediminas as a national symbol would probably have been forbidden. When the Soviet army overran Lithuania, an underground of Lithuanians fought on in guerrilla warfare into the 1950's. I think this underground, which was well organized, might have done some refitting and repairs of weapons, but we don't really know much.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link. That is more information then I had been able to find. I find it hard to believe it is a rework with being matching parts, but it sounds like these are found this way. I never would have thought it was a rework/ repaired rifle. I'm going to take it apart and look for rework stamps now. Learned they even used virgin receivers for repair at depot level which blow my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Very interesting find. If you disassemble, please post any barrel markings you find under the stock. Also, some more detailed photos of the rifle would be helpful for those tracking data on these rifles. Any other stock markings at the wrist area, or elsewhere as well. As ryg's links show, not a lot is known about this variant.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,687 Posts
When real depots reworked K98k rifles, matching up the new parts was the norm. As time progressed some small parts were left unnumbered or retained the old mismatched numbers. The Lithuanian marked barrels are not common, but aren't uncommon. I'd bet your rifle has a depot mark at the wrist, and if I was a betting man I'd say it was from Königsburg and will be marked Eagle/Kg over 69, sometimes those markings are gone from sanding the stock. However, the barrel should be firing proofed and I can't see that - you'd really need a lot more photos to authenticate it.

I have one of these K98k rifles with the Lithuanian marked barrels, I'll attach a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I touched the image up and there appears to be at least a serial below the Lithuanian markings. Can't really make out a firing proof however. Any significance of the C or R below the pillars?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally has time to take it apart and get more pictures. The screws match the front band. The stock matches from the external s/n on it but not from the one in the channel. I think the germans besides replacing the barrel may have done stock work and replaced the front band but I am not sure.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts