Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
For what it's worth, here is my 6/17 built Lithgow 1917 SHT.LE Mk.III S/N 62967. It has an "H" barrel installed by Lithgow SAF in September 1958 shortly before it was sold out of service in early 1959. A serial number has not been stamped on the phosphated barrel. The second number 45134 on the receiver is the 3MD inventory/rack number. The 3MD stamp on the receiver has been over stamped with ->S<- .

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Interesting! It looks like one of the NOS barrels, but with a date. This has the same sold out of service as my 28389, but it was presumably sold before it was re-barrelled in 1936. Are there markings to indicate disposal in early 1959? The South Australians were keen on marking all of their disposals with a large /I\ S /I\ on the butt with the month and year.
The 3MD stamped on the receiver has been over stamped with ->S<- as can be seen in the photo.

As for the disposal date, I have the paperwork from the original owner including the receipt for £3 from the Australian Department of Defence when he bought the rifle at Puckapunyal Army Base in February 1959.

The previous/original owner lived in Victoria and while in the Australian Army he was in the 67th Battalion, later to become 3RAR (3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment) in 1948. He went to Japan with the 67th Battalion as occupation forces after WW2 and served with 3RAR when they went from Japan to Korea. After Korea he was demobbed and he then got a job as a clerk with the Central Army Records Office in Victoria Barracks in St Kilda Road Melbourne. I suspect that, from his extensive research, 62967 was the rifle that he carried in Japan and Korea.

When I bought the rifle after his death in 2015 I also got with the receipt a copy of the original owner's War Service Record and a foolscap typed pink "flimsy" paper with the history of 62967; from production at Lithgow in 1917 to it being sent to the Middle East in February 1918 as a replacement rifle for the Light Horse; return to Australia in 1919 and being put into stores; withdrawal from stores in 1940 and issue to the 39th Battalion that took it to New Guinea in 1942; returned to Australia in October 1945 and transferred to the 67th Battalion/3RAR that took the rifle to Japan and Korea; return to Australia in 1954 and back into stores again. The rifle's movement records were referenced from the logistics records of individual units held in Victoria Barracks.

Other than the H barrel being fitted and a M BA /I\ P stamped bolt head there is no stamped evidence of an FTR. From manufacture in 1917 to the H barrel in 1958 there appears to have been no attempt to convert it to Mk.III* standard. The rifle has all matching numbers - bolt, receiver, rear sight, nose cap, wood - and all parts are stamped with the Lithgow seven point star. The furniture was not inlet for volley sights and the rifle retains the Lithgow star marked stock disc, magazine cut-off and the windage adjustable rear sight.

The original owner used the rifle as a range rifle so wood on the left side around the safety has been inlet and a Central No.4 sight plate fitted. Rifling is excellent so I don't think he fired many rounds through it before the change over to 7.62mm full-bore rifles.

Did the original owner arrange to have "his" rifle fitted by Lithgow with a new H barrel for range work prior to purchase? I can't prove it but I strongly suspect that he did, as many Smellies sold around 1959 to rifle club members conveniently had H barrels fitted before sale, backed up by anecdotal evidence from old timers that Lithgow "was in on the joke". He certainly would have had the right contacts through his job.

Anyway, all of the above has great meaning for me being ex-3RAR myself. I have no plans to sell 62967 and it will pass to my eldest son when I am permanently "demobbed".

Added:
During WW2 and Korea the Australian Army issued each soldier a Record of Service Book that had over four pages a "Record of Personal Equipment Issued to Army No." In the second column after the date is recorded REGISTERED NUMBER OF RIFLE OR PISTOL as seen below. Rifle 28442 was issued to the soldier on 6 November 1945. I am going to try to contact the family to see if they still have that document and ask for a copy of that section.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts