Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would have to agree that the date was applied when fitted.. The books detailing the "sequence of operations" , If they exist at Lithgow, would normally show what stamps were applied and when.

According to S.A. Examination Instruction No-9.. Marking of Components..dated 1951.
"Complete weapons found to be acceptable are marked with the workmark, the Examiner's personal mark, acceptance mark and the date mark indicating the year the weapon was inspected"
It goes on to say that .."Only stamps of approved design will be used.. Instruction #45 of 10 June 1943 details these stamps and workmarks".

The letters that muffett referred to would be batch numbers..these were applied to the steel when it came from the Steelmakers, and the stamp transferred through all operations to the finished product.
These letters are also found on the Slazenger sporting rifles.

According to my notes the letters on (H) barrels are as follows.
F 48
G 9 '49
H 7 '52
AD 11 '55
AE 9 '53
AH 7 '58
AO MA 62
AW 7.62 #4 barrel

Ken.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was lead to believe that the genuine (HT), apart from the action, used all new components.. furniture , barrel..etc.. I would also assume that the (HT) would have a serial numbered barrel also.
Only 1612 were produced and have been recorded by IS...so should not be a problem to verify one. Over the years I have seen many that were claimed to be genuine but were not.. similarly the MkIII(H) suffers the same fate, and its all about definition..To be a bona-fide MkIII(H) its needs to be assembled at Lithgow ( pre war) and have all matching serials including the barrel..
It is not mentioned in the 1948 "Price list for Army Stores".. the two rifles available being No1, Mk3 and the 3/1 ?..
Kenny.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is my HT medium mount has a 38 dated barrel, maybe a replacement as it has been a target rifle after leaving the military, but has been factory drilled for a sight bed And also has the “p” for paint which is still evident on the action.
In my opinion too much of a coincidence to have had a replacement barrel after service as the target shooters wouldn’t know what the P designates.
More likely is that it is an original H rifle converted to a HT as Doogal suggested.
Also has original Queensland maple furniture With volleys View attachment 3908671
View attachment 3908672
View attachment 3908673
Hi.. I sent you a private message...click on your avatar on the top bar of the page to find it....Regarding the rifle..have you the mounts, and is the barrel numbered to the rifle ?
Ken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts