Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just came across this thread and thought I may be able to assist on this. A 1916 Lithgow with an H barrel from a 1936 batch if I recall correctly. FTR'd in 9'44 and subsequently stamped as such on the butt AND on the barrel.

Wood Material property Writing implement Tints and shades Gas

Brown Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
132 Posts
MattyR82
Maybe a rifle club re barrel
That it could be however the barrel is a mid/late 1930s manufacter and the 9'44 on the barrel surely must align with the 9'44 stamping in the butt. Maybe not FTRd but an armourers stamping for when it was rebarreled. Has the H on the wrist so not necessarily a rifle club H barrel conversion. It's the second H barrel I have seen with a 9'44 marked barrel and 9'44 on the butt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive had H barrels dated as late as 1962.
I’m not buying the dates on assembly bit.
Surely that date of 1962 would be a fitment marks as SAF ended its production of No.1 parts in 1960 (according to Ian Skennerton). When National Service finished in 1959, there was a large drawdown in SMLE stocks and these were sold off, given to cadets or put into storage. The only support for No.1s in service were for the HTs that lingered in service for a little while yet. And RAAOC also ended its wider support for No.1s at unit level in 1959 upon completion of NS in 1959.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The barrel has an E code on it so I may totally be wrong on the dates that this barrel is from. Good information too there D.
Now this rifle is confusing me and irritating me with its origin. Looking at my 1908 Enfield, that has a stamp on it with the date directly underneath the serial number. I'll add the photo into this bunch.
Going back to the 1916 in question. It has the inventory number on the butt matching to receiver.

Wood Wood stain Tool Hardwood Varnish

Automotive tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

Wood Human leg Metal Carmine Leather

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts