Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions for the Aussies especially the old full bore guys.
Do the heavy barrels run tighter than the average SMLE light barrel?
Are they more or less likely to prefer flat base or boat tails?
Are there any differences between chamber and/or rifling to a Light barrel?
Any other personal opinions I would love to hear..
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
In my opinion ,yes....I reckon they have .302" bore dia...and the finish is very smooth ,must have been machine lapped ......The late ones that were for sale all over about 20 years ago,have rolled tenon threads,and maybe were button rifled. The chambers are also tight,I made the huge mistake of running a Manson reamer into the one in my Martini,and ruined the short lead ......dunno what century Manson is in,they use 1890s chamber dimensions.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
In my opinion ,yes....I reckon they have .302" bore dia...and the finish is very smooth ,must have been machine lapped ......The late ones that were for sale all over about 20 years ago,have rolled tenon threads,and maybe were button rifled. The chambers are also tight,I made the huge mistake of running a Manson reamer into the one in my Martini,and ruined the short lead ......dunno what century Manson is in,they use 1890s chamber dimensions.
That hurts. By 'ruined' do you mean unserviceable or not ideal for intended use?
Can adjusting loads compensate or it the tube a tomato stake?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Manson would have used SAAMI spec which are not right for 303B. The H barrels are the range length Long Lee barrel profile for range use which finished up in the HT. Yes they were made a whole lot tighter than standard barrels. Like last use for resharpened reamers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.