Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Lithgow Enfield single shot .22 rifle. I have not seen one like it. Very few markings. Empty box magazine. Very heavy parkerized. The stock is in new new condition. The stock is very raw and rough, but appears new. Any idea what this is?

·
2,751 Posts
There are a few exceptions to the basics when talking about the trainers. The majority of Lithgow trainers will be marked on the right side of the butt in big letters and numbers, like the pic below. There can also be some about that do not have these markings but still come up as legit. There are also some which were assembled from genuine parts by J Jovino co after they bought up large amounts of aussie surplus rifles and parts. If the wood looks raw, then it may be a parts rifle....

Really, without a couple of pictures and some description we are flying blind.

If it's marked like this, then it should be a good one!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Lithgow .22 trainer with a like new stock. The Parker Hiscock magazine was a bonus and just happened to be in the rifle when I bought it. This is stamped JJ NY NY and has a C prefix 1943 date so I think it is genuine and not a made up rifle.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Other than the match sight that rifle looks very much like one I bid on at a PA auction this winter. It was a JJ "bitster" with a Parker Hiscock magazine. Was hoping I was the only person in the room full of Colt collectors that knew what that magazine was worth. Sadly I wasn't! And I was there to get a long searched for Colt Pocket Hammerless so in the end I was happy. Just would have been even happier with that Parker Hiscock magazine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts