Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
10,397 Posts
FTR 1917 and Cut-off

Whilst officially, the cutoff was discontinued in late 1915/early 1916, it took a while for this order to trickle through the back-log of asemifinished receivers at factories, so a "Mark III" stamped receiver may or may not have exited the fatory with a cutoff fitted....in anycase, it would have been removed by a fireld armourer at the earliest opportunity...and thyen in the 1920s, they were mostly replaced(althopugh the Volley sights were not)...until late 1940, when Cutoffs were deleted permanently, bothg at factory level and in the filed (That still left rifles in store, at depots etc, which retained their cutoffs). BUT FTR in the 1950s was just that...all rifles were brought up to Mark III* standard, and so, Cutoffs removed.

If your rifle is marked "FTR MA 53", then it is a MarkIII*, whatever the origin of the rifle was ...and even if the socket markings don't match... or whatever.
So, no legitimate "Retro-making" here.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

PS, we in the Movies do it all the time...we get stripped WW I cutoff fitted receivers, and rebuild them into WW I era Movie rifles...cutoffs and all; and if we want to make them WW II rifles, remove cutoffs (and volley sights, if present) or change fore-ends) to get a "WW II Mark III*", to satisfy the purists...in any case, there were still Mark III in use in WW II (especially in first drafts to North Africa) but...the Pacific was fought mostly with brand new 1940s Mark III*s.

DocAV

· Administrator
10,397 Posts
BSA1940 Mark III etc.

Obviously Sprog likes destroying historical pieces...in 1940 BSA was still making (officially) Mark III rifles, complete with cut-off and occasionally Volley sights!!!

Destroying one historical piece to make another (after conversion) piece is a bit strange, but as one said, "it's your rifle".

Disgustedly your,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

· Administrator
10,397 Posts
BSA Mark II of 1940 etc.

My Dear Sprog,
If I really wanted to put you down, I would have really let you have it...it seems Aussies are getting to be a very touchy-feely mob these days... Must be some of that Yankee Litigiousness rubbing off, with all these US TV Lawyer shows....
in anycase, I am old enough (and maybe foolish enough) to say what I think and be damned for it. It's known as "Calling a spade a Bloody shovel!"

As to the BSA rifles, BSA was Britain's Only Exporter of SMLEs for overseas Contracts in the 1920s and 30s. (The British Gov't, ie, Enfield, did not fill foreign orders.)

BSA , in 1939-40, was still filling orders for various Empire colonies and smaller Dominions, and the majority of these were in "Mark III" layout.(with cutoff, and occasionally with volley sights as well.)

In 1940, after Dunkirk, all BSA production (irrespective of existing contracts) was directed to making up the losses of SMLEs, and so many BSA (Export) Rifles ended up in the British Army; When the Blitz got to its worst, and BSA dispersed the production of SMLEs outside Birmingham, they also changed over to "Mark III*" production. These will have the almost anonymous ("B") socket markings, with 41-43 dates, and of course "GR" etc. marks

IN any case, BSA used up all possible receivers, whatever their markings, and also transferred complete rifles from store, as mentioned above. So it is possible to find "Dispersal" rifles with post-1940 marks, with cutoff slots (but not fitted), and later Mark III* wood.

Regards to all,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.