Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a vague title at that.. selling a late dou on the trader board, had one of our resident posters, who posts based on quantity and not quality, try to tell me what something was worth. He then proceeds to throw a low ball offer in because it is in "terrible shape", ( he needs to look at the goods he is selling).

I would suggest this poster go back and check his email from 01.04.07 when I was trying to advise him on the cost of the stock replacements for his sportered dou he paid 250 for. And have a better understanding of values and replacement parts and knowledge another was trying to offer.

Unfortunately these type of folks lurk on the surface and below and tarnish our reputation to any new potential members or people requesting information.

I personally have been fed up with this behavior for some time... to the extent I have limited my participation to shield myself from these asinine questions and statements and even attacks. I have participated on this board, its predecessor boards from about 1996, in the beginning it was so much more enjoyable.

I am about to release some better quality stuff, I would prefer our resident know it all , or should I say know very little, refrain from contacting me for any potential purchases.

Thanks,

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree, Jeff.

I just about called it quits at that ridiculous mountain lion thread.

But just remember that people like that come and go, and regardless of the ebb and flow of substanceless posts and a couple people flooding the board with the same old auction questions and the like, there are good discussions.

Case in point, the dou discussion that developed on farb's dou.45 thread.

We value your participation, Jeff. Don't quit because of a few nitwits.

Jeff

·
Registered
406 Posts
Reply to Ditch

Hey Ditch, with all due respect, I think you are being harsh with your perspective of contributions to this forum. I've been collecting Mausers for 42 years, and shooting them alot (thousands of rounds), and finally am an active hunter in Montana who uses a 98 to kill all my game. Not all people who like 98's will fit in your narrow perspective of what is acceptable. I started the mtn lion thread because it might be of associated interest since a member actually did something with his 98 othen than fondle it. Unfortunately, there are many granola eating, tree hugging, Subaru driving liberals who own a 98 on this forum. I would think that they could look at a related thread and find it of some interest without total bashing, wailing and nashing of teeth. Drugstores have a remedy for those.....EX LAX. In the final analysis, the thread took off like a lighning bolt as far as stirring up interest and controversy. Around 2400 hits and 135 contributions to the thread. I have no apologies for you. I learned a lot from my contribution, that there are many mean spirited individuals out there and some hide behind a computer screen spitting venom. I'm a normal person who has a passion for guns, the outdoors, training horses, and ENJOYING LIFE, ....... lighten up dudes because life is way too short to work hard to destroy people. Always best regards from the Montana territory. Foxman:eek:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think low-ballers should be called out the user name and low-ball PM posted for all to see. That is the only way it will stop. The reason is that I participate very little here are for the exact same reasons jsz states. Seems like some "experts" here relish trashing others K98s. I can't believe it is put up with on the site/forum. I prefer friendlier environs.

foxmanmt...I am glad that you use your K98 for hunting as I do. Three rds...three deer this season. As a granola eating, tree cutting, Ford PU driving independent who owns a bunch of K98s I find your remarks disconcerting to say the least. Those that eat grainola don't have the need for Ex-Lax. LOL

·
Silver Bullet member
3,063 Posts
and I could use a nice dou stock....

so who was it?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,410 Posts
I think low-ballers should be called out the user name and low-ball PM posted for all to see. That is the only way it will stop. The reason is that I participate very little here are for the exact same reasons jsz states. Seems like some "experts" here relish trashing others K98s. I can't believe it is put up with on the site/forum. I prefer friendlier environs.

foxmanmt...I am glad that you use your K98 for hunting as I do. Three rds...three deer this season. As a granola eating, tree cutting, Ford PU driving independent who owns a bunch of K98s I find your remarks disconcerting to say the least. Those that eat grainola don't have the need for Ex-Lax. LOL
At least the mods here let you say what your feeling, other boards just wont do that.

We complain that we dont have enough freedoms, then we complain when those freedoms are given but others use them wrongly.
Nowhere is ever going to be perfect im afraid, as long as peoples opinions differ.

If someone gives you a lowball offer just say NO thank you, and block them if they continue. If they then post in your WTS/WTT thread, report the post to admins who will be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
since you want to make a thread out of my $250 offer i feel compelled to explain why.

Originally the Rifle was partially sportered, with front band, bayonet lug, butplate and stock missing."

"...with about 20% finish on receiver....Most metal rates in the 20-50% finish."

"...front band is a late kreigs style welded and is unnumbered. Band spring is milled and is unproofed and unnumbered...The rear locking screw does not fully seat, it will require threads to be chased out."

"Stock is nice unsanded, dou piece. It appears to have no serials in the barrel groove. Exterior there are no proofs or numbers which is correct on a dou. I would rate wood at 80%"

"Bolt has mismatched safety and striker assembly and possibly shroud. Bolt body appears to be dou numbering and is fire proofed to bottom of stem. Bolt condition is very good and finish is 60-70%."

so with the 20% finish on the receiver and 20% - 50% metal finish on the other metal along with the pitted exterior surfaces and active rust and not to mention the stock is 80% and not even original to the rifle or matching to itself along with a mismatched bolt you were hoping that someone would have paid $350.00. well someone offered and backed out. i made an honest offer of what it was worth to me considering the condition and a total mismatch put together rifle with 20 to 50 percent finish left and the fact that it is a common year & code.

well it looks like i was the only other person to make an offer? sorry but one can get a nice bolt mismatch for $600 to $800 with 90% or better on all metal surfaces.

let me ask you this: how many times have people on the boards said not to buy an rc for $300 to $400 when for a couple hundred more they can buy a bolt m/m k98?

simply put i made an honest offer to you for a total m/m put together rifle that is in poor overall condition and you call it out on the forum? if the rifle was worth what you wanted it would have sold already. sorry that you bitterly disagreed and had to make a thread out of it but the truth is the truth and you now have my explanation. it is a total parts rifle in poor or terrible overall condition when compared to high end k98s in bolt mm or totally matching pieces.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Ditch, with all due respect, I think you are being harsh with your perspective of contributions to this forum. I've been collecting Mausers for 42 years, and shooting them alot (thousands of rounds), and finally am an active hunter in Montana who uses a 98 to kill all my game. Not all people who like 98's will fit in your narrow perspective of what is acceptable. I started the mtn lion thread because it might be of associated interest since a member actually did something with his 98 othen than fondle it. Unfortunately, there are many granola eating, tree hugging, Subaru driving liberals who own a 98 on this forum. I would think that they could look at a related thread and find it of some interest without total bashing, wailing and nashing of teeth. Drugstores have a remedy for those.....EX LAX. In the final analysis, the thread took off like a lighning bolt as far as stirring up interest and controversy. Around 2400 hits and 135 contributions to the thread. I have no apologies for you. I learned a lot from my contribution, that there are many mean spirited individuals out there and some hide behind a computer screen spitting venom. I'm a normal person who has a passion for guns, the outdoors, training horses, and ENJOYING LIFE, ....... lighten up dudes because life is way too short to work hard to destroy people. Always best regards from the Montana territory. Foxman:eek:
Foxman,

My perspective is not as narrow as you state. This forum's parameters are stated clearly, and narrower than mine.

I shoot my Mausers, not just "fondle" them. I hunt with K98k rifles, and other firearms. I collect other firearms. I collect edged weapons totally unrelated to firearms.

I do not drive a Subaru, I drive a 1961 Baja bug offroad and on, and a vintage Type III VW. I ride horses with my family. I camp. I fish. I am NOT a liberal. I am full time military, and proudly wear a Combat Infantry Badge and Soldier's medal on my uniform, and I vote primarially on gun issues.

In the final analysis, the thread got moved because it was not close enough to on topic for the stated purpose of this particular forum. The interest it stirred up was a debate on the morality of types and methods of hunting, and a name calling fiasco, with my complaint only a short sidebar.

I do not spit venom, I merely pointed out that it was not appropriate to this forum, which we see was not an unfounded or lone opinion. Then I was called names, but that issue was satisfactorially resolved privately. I did not turn it into a mudslinging festival, it id so by the hands of others. And I do not hide behind a computer, my real name is easily known, and I stand by what I say.

If you seriously think that thread had merit here, or I am the one who made it a mess, or that all those posts were valid thoughtful statements which enhance this hobby, you need to read it again. And I don't appreciate the implications you just made about me.

I wouldn't want your apologies for me if you had any, you can keep them.

Jeff (Diederichs)

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Then why do you want it??
Gezz award... you say all this and you sold your empty bcd43 with no stock, no bolt in about the same shape for $215??

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=83600

I have a feeling if you were selling this gun you would be asking more than $350...
ta I originally wanted the rifle for a parts gun and specifically the stock which i would have been taking a chance on whether it was in better condition than the one that I currently have. The blue portion is the sellers description, not mine.

And since you brought up the bcd i will tell you no I did not get $215 for my bcd and yes it did have a stock that went with it.

Regarding your feeling, you are probably right but when something is offered for sale and the price is reduced by the seller it could mean that the price could be negotiable. If he was decent about this whole thing then he would have had a counter offer from me.

All in all I thought my original offer was fair to the seller but apparently not. Hopefully he will get someone else to make an offer.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,359 Posts
well..... now we know..... so much for the Listening part LOL

In all seriousness, we are (mostly) all adults..... be fair. The nice thing about PM-s is you can disregard them and Mover ON! An offer is an offer. (period) In many parts of the world it is called bartering.

my $.02

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
At least the mods here let you say what your feeling, other boards just wont do that.

We complain that we dont have enough freedoms, then we complain when those freedoms are given but others use them wrongly.
Nowhere is ever going to be perfect im afraid, as long as peoples opinions defer.

If someone gives you a lowball offer just say NO thank you, and block them if they continue. If they then post in your WTS/WTT thread, report the post to admins who will be more than happy to help.
Thank you NC, we appreciate that, and your recognition of the conflicts and "damned if we do, damned if we don't" cost of "freedom". Ultimately, censorship can (and is at other places) abused and the truth corrupted for personal gain. The appearance of propriety is just as important as propriety itself if this forum is to be trusted.

Reading posts is elective. This is adult swim. That said, we ask that folks don't pee in the pool. ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
11,670 Posts
Bingo. NCReptile nailed it.

As for the rest of the bickering on this forum, take it offline, please. Geez, it's like a facebook pillow fight around here sometimes.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts

As for the rest of the bickering on this forum, take it offline, please. Geez, it's like a facebook pillow fight around here sometimes.
Bones, actually I think this bunch does a great job of self policing. This forum is huge. We get more views on a post in 30 minutes than others do in a week. Given that, there is going to be the occasional pillow fight. As mods who do not arbitrarily censor, we can ask several things:

1) Don't be a jerk
2) If something greatly offends thee, do not read it
3) Obey the few site rules of the admins and mods

One may deem his opinion significant, another may deem that opinion worthless and irritating. There is absolutely no way to please everyone here with the thousands of different ideas of what they want in a forum. All we can do is make sure this place benefits the collecting community, people have faith in it and us as mods, and enforce the few rules we have as best as possible given the foregoing.

Cheers,
Hambone

·
Registered
531 Posts

Bones, you are exactly right. I just had a nice (I mean it) email exchange with foxmanmt, all is right.

I am guilty, and should not have engaged in a squabble. After all, it isn't on topic. :)

No more of this stuff from me. If I don't like e thread, I won't read it.

Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Listen the issue is not what somebody wishes to offer or not, I have big shoulders, I can take your poorly conceived irrationalized offer.
The issue is you seem to be our resident speaker, blurting out what something should be worth, turd alerts and other information that has no factual basis. And most often is clearly wrong. I learned at a young age hold your thoughts especially if you do not have knowledge of the subject.

Please do not lecture me on matching or bolt mismatch rifles are in the realm. I have done this over 30 years to your 2 years, with over 70 matched and bolt mismatched rifles in my collection, I have enough experience to be dangerous.:)

You maybe right, the market is not what it was three months ago. If it does not sell, I will remove it.

By the way your bcd 43 you just sold... what would that finish be?

I am done with you, and you dumb questions. 2000 post and not one thing of substance.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Gentlemen,
One thing you must all understand is just because a post exists here, that doesn't mean we agree with it, or that we are not irritated by it ourselves. What it means is that you all know that we as mods are not deleting and censoring things because of how we personally feel about it.

If we start deleting critical posts, or posts questioning things, then who is to say that we aren't also deleting and censoring posts legitimately calling attention to fakery and raising legitimate issues? I can guarantee you that this happens at other places. It is why German helmet collecting has become a huckster infested intellectual Armageddon. Thank you for your understanding and support.
Regards,
Hambone

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Listen the issue is not what somebody wishes to offer or not, I have big shoulders, I can take your poorly conceived irrationalized offer.QUOTE]

If the issue is not my offer then why did you post it? As for the rest of your latest comment I really don't care and won't get into a mudslinging contest.
regards

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
I buy K98 stocks every chance I get .... I use them to club baby seals.

As mods who do not arbitrarily censor, we can ask several things:

1) Don't be a jerk
2) If something greatly offends thee, do not read it
3) Obey the few site rules of the admins and mods

Hambone

oops, didn't see #1

jeb
(this is what happens when I don't have enough work to keep me busy)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.