Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Russ. commercials the only ones w/ chrome lined barrels? I'd think chrome would be a bit softer than high-quality steel and would wear faster. Using the non-corrosive ammo that is readily available, how long is barrel life?

Since Maks seem to be so durable, there seems to be little or no reason to avoid firing even the most pristine examples.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't know about the actual barrel life itself, but the purpose of the chrome lined barrels was to extend the life while using corrosive ammo, i.e. the latter day comm-bloc stuff.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Barrel life is long. I know of no one who has worn out a barrel. Typically one hears of frames failing first, though I have heard of very few instances of any kind where a Makarov has reached the end of its useful life.

I do know of one Mak which did not win an encounter with a brush-hog when it fell out of the operator's holster and got mowed.

Squib loads ruin barrels if another round is fired with a bullet stuck in the barrel. This typically does not rupture the barrel, but just puts a bulge in it requiring barrel replacement.

I have maybe a dozen new replacement barrels in my spare parts supply. I suspect that with my herd of Maks this represents a several lifetime supply. CB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts