Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Harold Stuart Hatfield was a 33 year old music teacher in Minnesota when he decided to join the Marines during WWI to do his patriotic duty. Playing 4 or 5 instruments, and having been in charge of his school's band, he thought he would be a help in a Marine band. I know his parents wanted that. He knew this might not happen, and was willing to take his chances. He ended up in a 5th Marine machine gun company, and died his first day at the front. Never had a chance to be heroic; or even fire a shot. I think the marine who wrote my great-grandmother was probably being kind. I would love to meet his descendants!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Harold Stuart Hatfield was a 33 year old music teacher in Minnesota when he decided to join the Marines during WWI to do his patriotic duty. Playing 4 or 5 instruments, and having been in charge of his school's band, he thought he would be a help in a Marine band. I know his parents wanted that. He knew this might not happen, and was willing to take his chances. He ended up in a 5th Marine machine gun company, and died his first day at the front. Never had a chance to be heroic; or even fire a shot. I think the marine who wrote my great-grandmother was probably being kind. I would love to meet his descendants!
Every man there was a hero, IMO. No matter how long he survived, or, like Harry, did not.
My grandad, a private in the 6th Dragoon Guards, died on June 21 1917, and I have no way of knowing how it happened.

I was a soldier for 33 years, and give thanks on a daily basis to whoever that I always came back home, in full knowledge that in doing so, I passed along a line of heroes who did not.

Bless 'em all.

tac

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
A Marine who did his duty and died bravely God be with him!

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
I have every respect for fallen comrades, let there be no doubt about that! What wonders me is that there is no place with the name of Saint Stelling. Did I miss something, or is this a fake name?

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Letters were as written is all I can say. Would be very interested in the answer myself. The History of the 5th Marines also gives a different date of death (few days off) - guessing day reported? I know he is buried in France as I have seen a photo of his marker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts