Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached below are some photos of my lever action pieces. One is missing my Winchester Mod. 94 .30-30 I bought in 1952 and have taken more game with it than any other piece. (I still have the sweet piece.) Anyway this line up includes a Cimarron replica of the Winchester Mod. 1876 in 45-60 caliber, a Marlin Mod. 336 in 450 Marlin, a Marlin Mod. 1894 in .45 Colt, and a Rossi Mod. 92 in .357. The single shot pieces are a Shiloh Sharps in .45-70, a Taylors & Co. Sharps replica in .45-70 and a Garrett Arms Saddle Ring Carbine replica in 45-70. Comments are welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
BC your pictures of your gun collection always makes me drool, thanks for sharing! I particularly like the Shilo Sharps.
Jim

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil / Jeb ----- Thanks for looking at the photos and your comments. These pieces are great fun to shoot and handle. They aren't collector pieces YET. However if the current idiocy of gun control goes from bad to worse they could be someday. Thanks again for looking.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
96,475 Posts
Nice group of lever guns. Mine is - less complete, but I'm fond of them anyhow.,

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clyde ---- Thanks for looking at my humble accumulation of levers and your comment. You can't keep us in suspense. Let us see what you have !!!

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the .38 Spc./.357 Mag. Rossi Mod. 92 out today with a shooting buddy and burned up some .38 Special ammo I loaded last fall. We initially shot at a target 25 yds. from the shooting bench and saw the rounds were hitting about 2" high in the black 4" bull's eye at that distance. Using the same sight and hold we shot at an old 25 pound propane bottle at about 75 yds. The hits were right in the upper part of the bottle. We next shot at another propane bottle at about 130 yds. The bullets were hitting just under the bottle with a center of bottle hold. Holding on the top of the bottle, all our shots were striking the bottle near the center or just below center. The Rossi Mod. 92 is pictured in my photo 0035 above, as the first one in the fore ground on the porch swing. I really like that Rossi I've had for 40+ years.

·
96,475 Posts
Clyde ---- Thanks for looking at my humble accumulation of levers and your comment. You can't keep us in suspense. Let us see what you have !!!
Not good at piccies, but can tell you what i have:
Model 94 in 30-30, mid-70s vintage. Inherited from my Dad, who received it as a retirement gift from his office;
Model 1894C Marlin, .38 Spl/.357 Magnum. Older gun, pre-safety and all that;
Model 39 Marlin .22RF. Older gun (1960s), purchased from the estate of a friend;
Model 99A Savage in .250, 1960s manufacture, rotary magazine;
Model 72 Savage single-shot .22 (modernized Favorite, of course), bought in Fort Knox PX mid-70s;
two Martini Cadets, both BSA, one converted to .218 Mashburn Bee, other nicely restored to .310 Cadet courtesy of Gun Parts Corp and SARCO for a NOS barrel(it had been rechambered to 32 Win Spl);
Martini-Henry Artillery Carbine configuration in 577-450, scrubbed, unknown maker, imported from South Africa by Navy Arms;
.303 Martini Muscat, Belgian proofed, no maker shown.

The Cadet in .32 Win Spl was unpleasant to shoot with factory, but worked fine. Handloads using 125 grain 8mm Spire points and moderate charges worked better, but I like it quite a bit better restored to .310. As might be imagined, the 577-450 Carbine isn't pleasant with 85 grain charge, better with 55 grains. I haven't shot it since I had neck surgery some years ago as the neurosurgeon who did the work said I should avoid heavy recoil. Took about a year after I had my right shoulder replaced to find even the .250 a pleasant gun - butt sits right on the incision and it didn't like a walnut massage, so to speak.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clyde ----- You apparently have a very nice collection of fire arms. I have a couple similar pieces such as the Winchester Mod. 94 in .30-30 I bought in 1952 and a Marlin Mod. 1894C in .45 Colt. My Rossi Mod. 92 in .38 / .357 is a very pleasant little carbine to burn powder with and quite accurate as well. I've gotten recoil sensitive too and load down my big bore pieces to the point where they don't hurt but still I know when they go off. My Cimarron Mod 1876 in 45-60 is a real pleasure to burn powder using 13 grains of Trail Boss under a 300 grain lead bullet. Those heavy kickers not only hurt the bones but could detach the retina in the eyes. "Moderate Charges" is the name of the game anymore for me. I plan to keep burning powder for as long as the good Lord provides me the strength to do it.
Thanks for telling me the pieces you have and enjoy shooting.

·
96,475 Posts
Clyde ----- You apparently have a very nice collection of fire arms. I have a couple similar pieces such as the Winchester Mod. 94 in .30-30 I bought in 1952 and a Marlin Mod. 1894C in .45 Colt. My Rossi Mod. 92 in .38 / .357 is a very pleasant little carbine to burn powder with and quite accurate as well. I've gotten recoil sensitive too and load down my big bore pieces to the point where they don't hurt but still I know when they go off. My Cimarron Mod 1876 in 45-60 is a real pleasure to burn powder using 13 grains of Trail Boss under a 300 grain lead bullet. Those heavy kickers not only hurt the bones but could detach the retina in the eyes. "Moderate Charges" is the name of the game anymore for me. I plan to keep burning powder for as long as the good Lord provides me the strength to do it.
Thanks for telling me the pieces you have and enjoy shooting.
More an accumulation, really, I fear. But I get things that catch my eye when the budget allows and i am fond of them.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clyde ---- You and me both. When something catches my eye (as in lever guns) it just seems to reach out and grab me. That's what happened with me and the Cimarron Mod. 1876 rifle.

The Marlin lever gun in .45 Colt could be an all round survival gun if conditions ever comes to a survival situation. That piece could be loaded with effective ammo to take down good size deer within 100 yds. or even elk, loaded to near .44 magnum ballistics. Or it could be loaded with bird shot ammo for rabbits and other small game critters up close. With the action open I can look into the ejection port and the number "44" is stamped on the inside of the receiver just behind the breach. I believe the receiver in my rifle is the same as what would be used for a .44 mag. but my rifle's receiver has a .45 caliber barrel screwed into it. I do like the way it functions and shoots in .45 Colt.

My wife can handle the Rossi .357 magnum easily if she ever had to use it for defense or taking a game animal. Using my .38 Spc. hand loaded ammo she is very happy with it.

·
96,475 Posts
Clyde ---- You and me both. When something catches my eye (as in lever guns) it just seems to reach out and grab me. That's what happened with me and the Cimarron Mod. 1876 rifle.

The Marlin lever gun in .45 Colt could be an all round survival gun if conditions ever comes to a survival situation. That piece could be loaded with effective ammo to take down good size deer within 100 yds. or even elk, loaded to near .44 magnum ballistics. Or it could be loaded with bird shot ammo for rabbits and other small game critters up close. With the action open I can look into the ejection port and the number "44" is stamped on the inside of the receiver just behind the breach. I believe the receiver in my rifle is the same as what would be used for a .44 mag. but my rifle's receiver has a .45 caliber barrel screwed into it. I do like the way it functions and shoots in .45 Colt.

My wife can handle the Rossi .357 magnum easily if she ever had to use it for defense or taking a game animal. Using my .38 Spc. hand loaded ammo she is very happy with it.
Librarian can handle my Marlin 1894C just fine, and if push came to shove, she'd be fine with it, and same ammo as her carry-piece (S&W Ladysmith in .38 Special).

The Cimarron that has caught my eye (don't have one yet, but suspect next trip out Fredericksburg way will change that) is an 1876 in 40-60.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Librarian can handle my Marlin 1894C just fine, and if push came to shove, she'd be fine with it, and same ammo as her carry-piece (S&W Ladysmith in .38 Special).

The Cimarron that has caught my eye (don't have one yet, but suspect next trip out Fredericksburg way will change that) is an 1876 in 40-60. { I believe Cimarron does chamber the 1876 rifle in 40-60. }
My Cimarron is in 45-60 caliber. I make up my 45-60 brass from older (fired about 4 or 5 times) 45-70 cases trimmed back from 2.10" to 1.80". I believe 40-60 brass might be a little difficult to find but 45-70 brass is everywhere. Trimming back the used 45-70 brass to chamber in the 45-60 rifle is easy, quick and cheap.

·
96,475 Posts
My Cimarron is in 45-60 caliber. I make up my 45-60 brass from older (fired about 4 or 5 times) 45-70 cases trimmed back from 2.10" to 1.80". I believe 40-60 brass might be a little difficult to find but 45-70 brass is everywhere. Trimming back the used 45-70 brass to chamber in the 45-60 rifle is easy, quick and cheap.
40-60 dimensions from CotW indicate .630" rim; .506" base tapered to .445 shoulder and .425" neck..404" bullet; case length 1.87" and LOA 2.10. Could make it from 45-70 cases EXCEPT that rim might be problematic. If i get one, I guess I'll find out. And since can get one for only $1794....

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clyde ---- What ever caliber Mod. 1876 Cimarron you get, I'm sure you will be happy with it. I chose the .45-60 caliber because I had a good supply of new and used .45-70 cases I realized could be modified (trimmed) for use in the 45-60 rifle. I've been shooting the trimmed cases in the '76 for several years (I've never bought any new 45-60 brass) and it has always worked fine for me using these cases. The source of my .457", 300 grain bullets (Rim Rock Bullets) has always had them in stock when I've stopped by their store in Polson, Montana. Thanks for the price info on what the '76'ers are going for these days. I gave $1250 for mine back in 2008 if I remember correctly. Keep me informed on what you decide on and how it shoots for you. I know you'll really enjoy your Mod. 1876 rifle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts