Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, here's something I found from the previous forums:

The East German boot size is the length in cm. of the inner sole. To estimate your size, wear however thick a sock you intend to wear with your boots and step on a ruler. There is some variation obviously and one should bear in mind that the leather gives a bit over time but I find that as many as three sizes can fit me reasonably well with some insole adjustment. There is often a second number that indicates the width of the inner sole but this is unclear to me what measurement it indicates. In any case 6 means VERY narrow; 7 narrowish medium; 8 wider fitting etc., there might also be a 9 but I have not come across it in my size.
We've already established that the present tables involving East German Boot sizes are wrong, however, as luck would have it, it turns out that the Japanese also used Centimeters like the East Germans.

So here's two charts that have Japanese (Centimeter) sizes listed:

http://www.rogansshoes.com/Sizing_Charts.aspx

http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion-and-personal-care/a2774-how-to-determine-your-shoe-size.html

The thing that bothers me is that both charts disagree. Anyone know why?

I wear an American Size 8 and I expect to pick up a size 26. That "should" be the correct size unless someone has a different opinion?

On the previous board I heard that it's better to wear one size higher than normal for increased comfort. The question is, more comfortable in what way? IE, for marching, walking, wearing extended periods of time, when using socks or footwraps .etc? Another question is did the NVA also follow this advice? Finally, are there any advantages with staying with your normal size?

If I decided to increase size for comfort, I'd move myself up to 26.5 correct?

Thanks for any help, and feel free to discuss whatever boot related topics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd recommend moving up a half size or a full size...as these aren't jogging shoes, or casual footwear. Think about wearing a pair of rental shoes with a tux for a wedding...only alot less comfortable and they don't have laces that you can adjust. The heel portions are also generally uncomfortable until broken in...very hard leather with little give and it cups your heel, often digging into it. On that note, I do have some enlisted boots in 26.5 and 27. Drop me a note if you need any or if you'd like a picture. I'm clearing out some of the collection which includes a lot of doubles. Let me know if you need anyhting...my girlfriend will be happy to see some of it go.
MsG.
-d

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's been my experience that E.G. and U.S. sizes do not correspond exactly ,a size 30 E.G. is more like a 10 3/4 not a size 11 U.S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts