1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
19,256 Posts
Is'nt it one of those conversion of a 91 to 91/30 by the Balkan countries that popped in a few years back. I've seen them with welded on barrel tips as well.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would have to be more than a few years. I don't recall ever hearing something like that. How long ago are you talkin' Vic?

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,832 Posts
Sigh, what a loss.

It WAS a M91, but it has since been reduced to a M91/30. While it may be worth some small premium for the markings, it is nowhere near worth the asking price, and IMO, if the seller cannot find an import stamp, it is because he/she/it is not looking.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I remember the NEW's and Remingtons that came into the country in 91/30 configuration. Never saw one in person myself though. However, I thought those were sold only as barreled receivers. It was at least four years ago that I remember.

If it really doesn't have any import marks, it may have been a cadet rifle that someone poorly tried to return to military configuration. However, they didn't bother trying to return it to its M91 configuration probably because the barrel was shortened and M91 parts are pricier than 91/30 parts. Just a thought.

One thing that strikes me as unusual after a second look is that the eagles are still present. Not exactly common on Balkan imports. It also has a bit of metal removed from the shank to allow more room for the rear sight leaf. It kind of reminds me of the Spanish import of M91's (pre 68) that I have seen. Maybe this was a Bannerman's cut down at one time?

·
copper Bullet Member
11,554 Posts
I wonder how the front sight was put on. If it was improperly dovetailed into the barrel it could be a problem.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Heh, Reminds me of my 'all original' ;) M91... A Remington 1917 too...

'Cept I knew I was gettin' a cut-down oddity. I thought it was nifty (albeit bubba'd) and lay'd down a little over $100 for it...

-Palimino

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Maybe the guy knew what is was and wanted it anyway. I remember when I bought the Bubba brand M39 that had been D&T'ed that had a Tasco scoped mounted to it. The stock had been cut down (Badly) No one believed I bought it. But that rifle called out to me and I bought it. No one believed it when I sold this Rifle for 4x what I paid for it either. It called out to that guy too I guess.

·
Administrator
19,256 Posts
THerer was a some about 2-3 years ago that came in as 91/30's. NEW's and Remingtons. Some had new front sight bases installed and others actually had the front end of a 91/30 welded on as part of the barrel witha zig zag cut. The cost then was much more than that auction. I think 54r has one on his site.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,371 Posts
If it is a legit converted 91/30, then I'd say that was a good price. But to me it looks like the bbl was just cut and a dovetail cut into the bbl for the rear sight. If done here, it's worth about $100 as a novelty.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah, I've got a Westinghouse converted to 91/30 like Vic described. The Remington in question is not one of those, but I might have grabbed it anyway as one of those novelty things.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,792 Posts
Maybe the guy knew what is was and wanted it anyway. I remember when I bought the Bubba brand M39 that had been D&T'ed that had a Tasco scoped mounted to it. The stock had been cut down (Badly) No one believed I bought it. But that rifle called out to me and I bought it. No one believed it when I sold this Rifle for 4x what I paid for it either. It called out to that guy too I guess.

"If the shoe fits...!"

Poot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts