Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get on this forum much so I don't know if this has been posted already, so I'll post it anyway.

This police chief wasn't doing anything foolish when this occurred, he was just adjusting his issue windbreaker after holstering his weapon. Fortunately, the bullet only grazed his leg. One of those "one in a million" occurrences that fortunately ended well.

Good safety training video for anyone who packs.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
This guy is a dufus. First, make sure there is nothing in the way when holstering. And Second. ...This is a big one now, more important than #1....IT'S NOT HIS FIRST TIME SHOOTING HIMSELF!!!! He did it twice before!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
12,000 posts and you don't come around much.:) I have over 2000 less I'm around every day....... fess up. :)

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Those dangling plastic cylinders on my windbreaker keeps getting themselves tangled in stuff. I've learned not to just toss it in my car trunk. Next step is to cut it off and replace it with a simple plastic slide.

And a separate safety lever or button is no guarantee against an AD. Adding complexity and controls just insures that someone will screw around with it, say deciding to see what happens when you flip the safety off while holding the trigger. There was a rash of that type of incident when PDs switched from revolvers to the Wonder Nines, and Glocks are about as close in operating controls to the old DA revolvers as you can get.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Is this a new or old video ? The issue of "draw strings" getting into a holster is at least as old as 2005, since an "OE (operational experience)" notice went out to all LE and was passed around in DOE as well as commercial Nuclear security forces ( which I had responsibility in ). the other issue identified early on was belt mounted key chains and any other floppy item attached to the duty belt. there have been several instances of the windbreaker /coat keepers getting into the trigger guard and causing a ND (negligent discharge). This is not a Glock issue, but is more apparent due to the large number of Glocks in service with LE. Other pistols can suffer from the same problem. You also need to keep your finger out of the trigger guard when holstering.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Can't fix careless with any feature, some people will shoot themselves with slingshot.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sheriff of a small town near me died from a Glock ND a few months ago. They aren't completely sure what happened, but they think he was holstering it at the time.
This happened at his home while getting ready in the morning. Very sad.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
You can't be serious, Clyde what do you carry,a Rock ?
Varies. Sometimes a Chief's Special. Sometimes a 1911A1 (real thing, ex-GI), sometimes a BHP, sometimes a Firestar in .40 S&W, sometimes a BDA-380, sometimes a Bersa 380, occasionally (when i want something real elegant) a Remington 51. Wintertime when I'm going to be wearing a bulky outer garment, sometimes a Model 19 or even a model 25 or 57. May go to the recently acquired Taurus .44 Special on occasion (same criteria as for the Model 19, cold weather gun). Not usually a rock, though i do have a (real thing, like David used) sling, so I guess that would work....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts