Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen for sale a bent Thompson M1a1 receiver for sale as a relic. The bend to the front of the receiver appears about 15 degrees. I know there have been different rules as time has past the NFA branch of the ATF. Was this legal at one time, as is it still legal? When I saw it for sale, my first thought that it looked like a Federal felony to me. I am not, and will not ever buy it, I was just curious.
Thanks for your help,

Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
]I've seen for sale a bent Thompson M1a1 receiver for sale as a relic. The bend to the front of the receiver appears about 15 degrees.<

A reasonable assessment would be that the receiver is of no further use as a firearm and thus a non-gun, but it is still a complete receiver and therefore contraband unless registered. But, in my view, it would really depend on who is assessing it, under what circumstances, how and where it was discover by authorities, and in what state. Someone with a workshop full of MG kits and MG parts might be regarded as intending to repair it, while someone who doesn 't have any evident involvement with firearms, much less MGs might be regarded very differently by ATF, police, etc. In NY, CA, MA, HI, NJ, and probably many other states, there would be serious legal consequences, no doubt, if caught with it and ATF became involved to render a judgement about its legality.
Definitely a legal liability.

Bob Naess

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob,

It sold on Ebay of all places. I just shook my head when I thought of all the legit things they ban, while allowing something like this.

Tribrothers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts