Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that a person with no FFL of any kind can ship a rifle to a person with a C&R as long as the rifle in question is C&R elegible...My mom has gotten access to her fathers lever action 30.06 and I want to use it this year hunting.

In the same line of thinking....for those of you that have shipped rifles via UPS and as well as carried them on flights around the country. Which do you think is safer for your weapon? I have never had any trouble shipping rifles to other collectors but my grandpa's deer rifle is in a totally different class as far as value goes. Would you have it shipped or would you fly out to where it is and pick it up in person?

TIA, paulc

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
There really is no safer option in the scenarios that you have presented. In all cases, at some point, the rifle leaves your complete control and you rely on the skills of a stranger to get it safely back to you. People have given horror stories from all the common carriers. The best option to minimize damage would be to ship it in a hard plastic gun case and have it insured. If it were me and I had the time, which sounds like you may, might as well have a trip and get it yourself. That will leave the most minimal time in transit and therefore, minimize the time it takes for it to get damaged.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
****Responses will vary.****

:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So who can tell me the basics of taking a rifle onto a plane? I have never traveled before with a firearm.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I haven't either, but it's my understanding that you have to have a locked hard case (no ammo) and declare it to the gate agent. They will call over a TSA agent to inspect it and then they tie wrap the case shut with a special color coded tie. At the other end you pick it up at baggage claim, provided it wasn't stolen or lost on the way. Different airlines have different policies so you need to contact the one you're going to be flying on and double check before you go.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Unloaded and locked in a hard case will suffice. You will have to make that declaration and show the rifle when you get to the ticket counter. It would be best if you didn't have any ammo with you when you travel. This helps minimize trouble you might have with people who work for the airlines who don't know their own rules and regulations.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
:D

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
So who can tell me the basics of taking a rifle onto a plane? I have never traveled before with a firearm.
I've travelled with a firearm in my checked baggage three times. Before each flight, I simply called the airline and inquired as to their specific requirements. One carrier wanted to examine the contents of the hardcase in a secure area before I went through the normal check-in process. The others simply required that the hardcase contents be examined as a part of the check-in process. Haven't had a problem.

C/

·
Registered
532 Posts
Call the airline, or check their web site. The rules seem to vary with the airline and the airport. Some of them check the rifle. That can be amusing when it's obvious they know nothing about firearms, and would rather be petting an alligator than handling a rifle. Some times they do it right at the ticket counter. That can be amusing too. Some just ask if it's loaded and don't bother looking.

I use a hard case, and put three masterlocks on it, all keyed the same. That's mostly to keep it from "accidently" popping open, you only need one lock.

Also, don't expect to pick it up on the luggage carousel. You will probably have to go to the office where lost luggage, oversized stuff, golf clubs, skis etc are picked up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Honestly, I think the probability of theft / damage is about the same whether you ship it UPS, USPS or as checked luggage. I'd say based on my own experiences that I listed the options in order of increasing cost and overall hassle. A lockable hardcase certainly minimizes the risk of ape damage and a box large enough to hide it in that previously had some real sexy stuff like bed frame rails delivered in it is useful camouflage for the hardcase. Usually though, a length of bubble wrap or some newspaper inside a regular corrugated rifle box from UPS will get the job done just fine. After all, these companies do make their living by moving things efficiently and are very good at it.
rr2241tx

·
Gunboards Sponsor
249 Posts
As stated above...declair when you check in..have a set of rules printed off by the airline that you travel with to avoid problems at check in...or send usps inshured, regsitered mail. i sent several hundred packages a year and best is usps..ups will loose it or damgage it...

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,787 Posts
My opinion only:

Best method would be to drive there, with the rifle in a case in the trunk.

If you fly, a lockable case. As mentioned, find the rules for the airline you will be traveling on. Be prepared to unlock the case on demand for inspection. A non-stop flight is preferable to one that bounces through several hubs.

If you must mail it, wrap the case, and put it in an over-sized box, and use USPS.

In all cases, have a card in your wallet with the make, model, serial number, etc. A few digital photos will also help, in case something goes wrong.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,474 Posts
Regs says use a hard sell case that is locked. Gun unloaded. Labeled. Declared on check in.(all red flag for theft). No ammo. Ready for exam. Airline regs subject to change but mostly federal.

I disassemble the firearm. Keep a small part, like the firing pin and mag in your checked luggage. Keep good records. Better still, avoid this crap. Ship it when possible.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,304 Posts
In NC, a non-FFL can ship a long gun to another non-FFL within the state.

Yes, non-FFL can ship to a C&R in most states (I'd bet all states). The C&R allows interstate acquisitions, which goes back to the non-FFL to non-FFL item above. In the same state (for some US states), no FFL is required on either end.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
I travel with guns all the time and have never had an issue and never a problem with lost or damaged etc.. Approved hard case, two locks. Check in declare the gun, they'll pass it off to TSA who will check it and off you go. Rules-no more then 50lbs domestic and no more than 2 guns per case is my recent experience. UPS and FedEx. Theve destroyed piles of them on me in the shipping route.

·
Silver bullet member
499 Posts
If you travel with it, most airlines put a maximum replacement value on "lost luggage"...used to be $1200.00/bag, not sure now... not sure what you would be picking up but might want to make sure that if the airlines "lose it", it will cover its value... I also had a friend who worked for Delta that if I saw what goes on in the baggage handling area, I would carry on everything...

However, if Vic tells you that he has never had a problem w/ "guns as luggage", that would carry a lot of weight, IMHO....

M.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That 7.62x54r is the hitch...this is my grandpa's gun, I have a pic of him with this rifle and a buck tied across the hood of some car I can't id from the late 40's or early 50's. And the gun actually belongs to my Uncle, it is just on loan to me...it is a long freakin' ride to KS from GA...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts