Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the Trustee of an estate which contains a large firearms collection. My deceased uncle was a licensed dealer (FFL 01), gunsmith, and collector. Two of the items in the collection are identical Austrian WWII vintage sub-machines. The first one has a destroyed/cut-up receiver but appears to be good for parts (no paperwork specifically for this one). The second one has an intact receiver but has the barrel welded up. The second one has a letter (from ATF? - I don't have it in front of me) dated from the 60's (1963?) showing that my uncle was legally allowed to own it (is this a CLEO letter?). Assuming the state I live in allows private ownership of these firearms would I be able to transfer registration on a federal level? If so would it be possible (legally) to make one operational by combining parts from each? Any help/information on this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The first one you could sell for parts with a cut receiver

and you are correct, no paperwork is involved. The 2nd one would be a DEWAT, and with the paperwork, could be re-activated with the correct ATF forms - the main thing is having it in the ATF's registry. The paperwork that you have, probably has the chief's signoff (whom ever was the chief back in the 60's). If so, the weapon would be considered a C&R (curio & relic). HTH

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The form you have is probably not a CLEO letter but a form 4467 for amnesty registration of the weapon. It will say somewhere on the form what type it is. CLEO stands for Chief Law Enforcement Officer and he is required to sign off the back of transfer forms for anyone not licensed to deal in the type of firearm being transferred. A CLEO signiture was not required for the amnesty registration. There was no tax payment require either. If the form you have is a registration of either the 4467, form 5320.1 or 5320.4 than the firearm can be transferred to you by the estate on a form 5320.5 tax exempt if you are a legal heir or named in the will to receive this item. It will transfer on the form 5 (5320.5) tax free if it is registered as Unservicable too. If it was registered as unserviceable prior to may 19 of 1986 you can legally reactivate it by filing a form 1 once it has transferred to you. Let us know more of what is on the form you have and I can help you figure out if, how and what is required to transfer and reactivate the firearm. The part set you have could be used as spare parts but cannot be reactivated if there is no registration for it..

Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts