Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Gents,

While I have been directly involved with importing firearms from Europe and other locals INTO the US, I have no direct knowledge of the legal requirements to export a firearm?

I have a friend here in Moscow who has legal permits for his collection as well as the connections required to legally import collector firearms from outside of Russia.

He wants to acquire a Model 1905 Colt and export it (ONLY if legally possible!) from the US to Russia? I have NO IDEA if this is possible and have offered to seek advice for him only! I have neither the time nor inclination to get in the middle of something like this! However trying to obtain info for him in order to either tell him it is NOT POSSIBLE or in the event that it is, to point him in the right direction.

For imports I have always used Leroy's, but know nothing about exports other than antiques.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide in the way of advice.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Can't this place called Leroy's be contacted and asked?.If they can handle imports,they should be able to arrange shipping outside of the US also,and will know the rules about such matters.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
I am looking for the same information.
Here is the link to my thread:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=5357
Few days ago I got following e-mail from BATF (I hope you will find it helpful):

"Good morning. ATF does not regulate the exportation of firearms from the United States. The agency that does control exportations is the US Department of State, Defense Trade Controls. They can be reached at (202) 663-1282. Good luck."

·
Registered
170 Posts
Google USC 479.114, and USC 2778 (the Arms Export Control Act) that's where the firearms export laws are. According to federal law in the ATF reference guide it needs to be done on a Form 9, and through an exporter licensed by the State Department (though ATF still needs to sign off on the Form 9).

Russia might also be on the "no export" list for firearms also, not sure.

Hope this gives you a start.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Can't this place called Leroy's be contacted and asked?.If they can handle imports,they should be able to arrange shipping outside of the US also,and will know the rules about such matters.
Unfortunately Leroy's Big Valley Gun Works recently had both their FFL and ATF import license REVOKED by the ATF, so I don't think they would be the folks to ask. . .

From the ATF web site at
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/revokedFFLSearch.do

9-81-105-08-RV-35152
TIFFANY, MANLEY L
LEROYS BIG VALLEY GUN WORKS
527 2ND AVE N
GLASGOW, MT 592300000
PO BOX 22
GLASGOW, MT 592300000

9-81-105-01-RV-35151
TIFFANY, MANLEY L
527 2ND AVE N
GLASGOW, MT 592300000
PO BOX 22
GLASGOW, MT 592300000

The first entry is their Class 08 import license, the second their Class 01 FFL.

Damned shame. . .

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Unfortunately Leroy's Big Valley Gun Works recently had both their FFL and ATF import license REVOKED by the ATF, so I don't think they would be the folks to ask. . .

From the ATF web site at

9-81-105-08-RV-35152
TIFFANY, MANLEY L
527 2ND AVE N
GLASGOW, MT 592300000
PO BOX 22
GLASGOW, MT 592300000

9-81-105-01-RV-35151
TIFFANY, MANLEY L
527 2ND AVE N
GLASGOW, MT 592300000
PO BOX 22
GLASGOW, MT 592300000

The first entry is their Class 08 import license, the second their Class 01 FFL.

Damned shame. . .

Damn that sucks. I bought a couple of things from them and they were great to deal with.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts

From the ATF web site at

9-81-105-08-RV-35152
TIFFANY, MANLEY L
527 2ND AVE N
GLASGOW, MT 592300000
PO BOX 22
GLASGOW, MT 592300000

9-81-105-01-RV-35151
TIFFANY, MANLEY L
527 2ND AVE N
GLASGOW, MT 592300000
PO BOX 22
GLASGOW, MT 592300000

Damned shame. . .
Gee, just received one from Germany via them two weeks ago. Did I dodge a bullet?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Shy,Was it the import from KH that they handled for you?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
...For imports I have always used Leroy's, but know nothing about exports other than antiques...

JPS

JPS,
Could you please share this information with me?
What is required for export of antique firearms from USA?
What shipping services can be used?
Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
JPS,
Could you please share this information with me?
What is required for export of antique firearms from USA?
What shipping services can be used?
Thank You.

No services other than the mail need to be used when exporting an antique rifle outside the United States. The only thing that needs to be established/solved/used/etc, is the legal aspects for the person for whom the rifle is being imported to. Once it leaves the US, you are free and clear. My grandfather used to do this on a regular basis. Never had any problems whatsoever.

Also, mailing is the way to do it. Sometimes it's expensive, but well worth it. He told me horror stories of guys not paying the little extra to ship via airmail. They decided to do the "slow boat to China" method and saved a few bucks. But wound up with a piece of firewood after the month long trip to foreign lands.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Got a note from Leroy's and they are back in business as of Aug 1, so the news above, while it may have been correct as some point, is now inaccurate.

Consider them for your import/export needs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts