Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I really like my milsurp collection, they are all right handed. The idea of long range shooting is intriguing to me.
Anyway to the question.
I'm looking to get a left handed bolt gun; thinking something in 300WSM, but I'm open to other ideas.
Not a hunter, just looking for an accurate target shooter. I've done a little reading and the 300 WSM looks like a good round.
The rifle chooses so far look like Savage model 16 FLHSS, or Remington 700 CDL.
Trying to keep the rifle under $1K, and somewhere around $400 to $500 for a decent scope.
I know this budget doesn't get into a high end long range shooter, but should work fairly well.
Any ideas, comments would be helpful. I'm new at this longer range stuff.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Everyone is different but if it were me -

I'd get a Remington SPS Varmint in .308. I don't know anything about Savage, but have heard good things. You didn't say what ranges you plan to shoot but you'll want a heavier barrel, and usually 26". I don't have any experience with 300WSM, but the more you shoot, the more you'll appreciate the recoil of a smaller caliber. If you are shooting at ranges under 500 yds I'd go with a .22-250 or .223.

The money you save on the rifle - spend on the glass. Get the best you can afford.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,637 Posts
If you already have a bunch of bolt action milsurps, you're no stranger to operating them. You may well find the lefty action to be more annoyance than advantage.

Years ago I got a smokin' deal on a 700 BDL in .30-06 ... lefthanded bolt. Sure, it's comfy to shoot with the lefthanded action, but I so seldomly shoot it, compared with the bunch of Mausers & Mosins, that I find no advantage in purposefully buying one.

Given a do-over, I'd pass on the lefty action.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Get a Savage police rifle in .223. I forget the model number but you can find it easily enough on their web site. With a black plastic stock and flat black finish it is butt ugly, but I still like mine, and ammo is cheap and readily available. I have a Remington 700 BDL, which is a very accurate rifle,l but for the money, the Savage is the most cost effective. 300WSM is way too powerful, the recoil will turn you off from shooting even if the cost of ammo doesn't. I bet the main reason AZshooter doesn't fire his .30-06 BDL is the recoil: a .30-06 in a sporting rifle has a very unpleasant recoil, 20 rounds would be my limit at the range and 50 would do serious injury. I had mine rebarreled with a heavy barrel so the rifle now weighs about 9 pounds and is much more comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
several years ago i came acrossed a very good deal on two winchester left hand rifles when winchester stopped making them, a 7mm mag LH and a standard 270 LH, here is the 7mm mag set up for long range deer hunting, a 6.5x20 leupold with factory target knobs and harris bipod. i have only shot it to 600yds and there is not a deer that will survive if it stands still for a few seconds, i use a lazar range finder to find the range and click up the clicks for elevation.,so you can hold right on. eastbank.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
I bought a Savage 10 FLE .308 and put a Choate maj plaster Sniper stock and a milet 6x24x50 scope on top . It shoots way better than I do.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
What range? What caliber?
Son, lefty, has no problem with any milsurp and has quite an effective reach over bolt operating technique.
The more important thing is finding a caliber you can afford to shoot, and shoot, and shoot without breaking the bank to become proficient in your rifle skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts