Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of LEE RGB dies in 6.5x55 and am wanting to reload some surplus primed cases that I have. Where these are berdan primed and I dont want to remove the primer (or set it off), is this operation out of the question for the full length rgb dies? I know the deprimer isnt removable on these, but does retract. Would it detract upon hitting the space between the 2 flash holes of the berdan case or would it set off the primer and/or bust the deprimer? Kind of a whacky question, but I'd rather read to learn than learn from a potentially hazardous experimsnt.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You should be able to remove the decapping pin from any Lee rifle dies. It sits in a collet that is threaded into the top of the die body. Either remove it entirely or raise it into the die body so it doesn't contact the base of the case when you resize. RGB dies are the same design as any other Lee set, they just don't come with the extras of a shell holder, etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You should be able to remove the decapping pin from any Lee rifle dies. It sits in a collet that is threaded into the top of the die body. Either remove it entirely or raise it into the die body so it doesn't contact the base of the case when you resize. RGB dies are the same design as any other Lee set, they just don't come with the extras of a shell holder, etc.
the lee dies I have, the pin/expander button/shaft are all one piece of steel. ie. no removable pin

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
the lee dies I have, the pin/expander button/shaft are all one piece of steel. ie. no removable pin
Correct, it is a 1-piece unit, decapper/expander.

You just have to be VERY CAREFUL how yoiu set these to resize without pushing a primer.

Were it Me, I would remove it, size, then re-install it and readjust it to just expand the neck.

2 steps, but what it is.

You MIGHT, depending on case length have a tough time adjusting the expander low enough to not pinch the neck while adjusting the decapper high enough to miss the case base.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Yes ,Bob is correct,grind off the pin.......and ...there is a catch with Lee dies......if you move the expander up too much ,then you will jam the case neck in between expander and "reducer".....however ,I think ,that the Lee expander/ decapper rod is reduced in diameter just below where its meant to grip the collet nut,to avoid this possibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.