Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a wartime sling online for my No4 without giving much thought on it since they are anything but rare or expensive, but upon arrival i noticed that my sling seems to be adjusted. Do any of you have seen this before? could it be WW2? I don't know what i should do now, keep it or buy an unaltered one.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have seen some of those, with the cross stitched adjustment bumpers... just can't recall what it was called... but the thing was so they couldn't slip...
Paratroops version, maybe? Wonder if they are on the reference pages at Liberty Tree Collectors web site... have you looked there?

·
Gold Bullet member
12,858 Posts
I seem to recall seeing a wartime photo of a web Enfield sling that was modified by the addition of loops that allowed a few spare cartridges to be carried on the sling. I believe that the photo showed a Brit sniper with a No.4 Mk.1(T) equipped with this modified web sling, not the leather US pattern sling.

I may have a copy of this photo and I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, I think that it could be a Belgian SAFN 49 sling. Even though the internet seems to be full of different possibilities.
Still, this picture a Belgian Army conscript with his SAFN 49 seems to have a different sling. Picture seems to be made in the early 80's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.