Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sixty years ago a young lad was riding his bicycle past the old Army barracks at Dundarave Beach in West Vancouver, B.C., Canada. He was intrigued by the sound of rifle fire coming from one of the buildings and timidly peeked inside. Inside, he saw a row of shooters laying prone and shooting at targets 25 yards away on the far wall. The Range Safety Officer, who happened to be a woman saw the young boy and invited him in and asked if he would like to learn how to shoot a rifle? Well, of course! What red-blooded young man who was raised on WWII documentaries and Cowboys and Indians would refuse that offer? "For twenty-five cents you can buy a box of cartridges and a target", she said. Twenty-five cents? Who was she kidding! That was a small fortune for a 7 year old boy in 1961! Sensing my dilemma, she offered, "help me sweep up the range after shooting and I'll pay for you." Deal! She took me aside, showed me how to safely load, handle, and shoot the rifle, a WWI .22 Rimfire trainer and after watching me closely for the first few shots, left me to my own devices.
Thus began my life-long love affair with shooting sports in general and Lee Enfields in particular. It was only a matter of time before I would add the first rifle I ever shot to my collection and after searching for a few years for a really good example, I found a 1915 BSA No.2 MkIV* in an online gun auction. I added the PH5A sight to it and have been able to shoot some amazingly tight group
Triangle Rectangle Font Wood Symmetry
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood Bag Automotive exterior
Brown Wood Rectangle Bag Metal
Sewing machine Sewing machine feet Sewing machine needle Sewing Home appliance
s with it, despite my old eyes and shaky grip. Please enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoy sharing them and this story with you.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Whoa! Am I seeing this right?
Within the same timeframe you asked a person to PM you. One for all practical purposes had “right of first refusal”.
In that same thread you told someone to drive down and you’ll give it to him.
Only to discover you’re offering it up to someone else.
Now, I may not know what happened behind the scenes in a matter of a few minutes, but out here on open board it certainly looks unscrupulous of you.

Just sayin

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa! Am I seeing this right?
Within the same timeframe you asked a person to PM you. One for all practical purposes had “right of first refusal”.
In that same thread you told someone to drive down and you’ll give it to him.
Only to discover you’re offering it up to someone else.
Now, I may not know what happened behind the scenes in a matter of a few minutes, but out here on open board it certainly looks unscrupulous of you.

Just sayin
I was wondering about that too.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have never worn that brand before...but if you wish it on me...I'm OK. I strongly doubt that castigation will make it on my headstone.

JB White says I'm unscrupulous...shudder the earth under my feet...disorder in the house!!

But what has transpired that is unscrupulous?

It's just a box I saw while walking by an old, disused gas station. Fifteen dollars for a 76 year old crate.

And, yes, you saw that right. I just took it off the market.

If you drive down...I'll give it to you...first one to the door.

Just sayin'...

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOVE it...the PH sight always adds a certain gravitas...in a good way. Nice grouping!

JBW is right...if you were aiming where you were grouping...it's all good!! :)
That was at 50 yards in an indoor range, POA the bullseye.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Sapper740
Welcome to Gunboards. I really like your rifle and I envy you having a place to shoot it. I also have an Enfield 22 sht mk IV* but I haven't had a chance or a place to shoot it since I bought it several years ago. I have a few other military trainers one of which is an Israeli FN Mauser purpose made as a .22 trainer. I've shot that one and it's a tack driver. I enjoyed your story of your first experience firing a .22 rifle. I was about that age when I fired my first rifle. Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Dan

Reactions: Sapper740
1 - 20 of 41 Posts