Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Nice finds. I really wish I had a much nicer Lebel than the one I currently have. A shame someone heavily polished the hell out of that buttplate. If that 2.8.35 is a rebuilt date, I would imagine it would have been given the standard "N" modifications assuming it was in French service then.

I don't know why the second one would not have markings on the receiver. It should.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,080 Posts
The receiver markings could have worn away, I have a few like this.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I was thinking about using the one with no receiver markings as a parts donor to the first one I got. Does anyone have any idea of the real value of Lebels in this condition? I checked gunbroker and I could only find sold matching examples which were all over $1,000.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I think it would be a real shame for you to use that rifle as a part's gun, especially now that you have another one you can shoot.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The main purpose of the stock cross bolt was to reinforce the Lebel stock for grenade launching.

You can either use the cross bolt from your unmatching rifle or you can fabricate a cross bolt by reshaping the head and nut of a suitable regular bolt.

kelt

·
8,080 Posts
I personally would not remove the cross bolt from that rifle, it has been on there for almost 100 years and has served its purpose being there.
I would go out and shoot the rifle, see how accurate it is, it may surprise you in that you may not want to remove it, some of the rifles that you think look nasty are some of the best shooters, trust me, I have a few like this as well, they do not look all that nice but will do it job fantastically.

Patrick

·
8,080 Posts
You would have to make sure it the front or rear cross bolt off a rifle and not the front one of a carbine, these are different.
Let me look in my parts tomorrow and see what I have ... I might have one.

Patrick

·
Registered
268 Posts
You would have to make sure it the front or rear cross bolt off a rifle and not the front one of a carbine, these are different.
Let me look in my parts tomorrow and see what I have ... I might have one.

Patrick
Springfield has both the plain cross bolts, and the ones with the threaded hole for the clearing rod. I bought a pair for my Berthier carbine, someone had put a couple of machine screws in the holes. Made a tool to install them out of a used sawzall blade, cut to shape with a dremel.

·
8,080 Posts
I just looked in my pile, all mine are the carbine front type ones, I must have used my last one in my last re-build ... sorry

Patrick

·
Registered
287 Posts
I officially own both rifles now, but I can't find ammo for them. I also own enough calibers as it is. What is a fair asking price for them? Both are missing the rear swivel is this common?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Liberty Tree has some 1947 dated French surplus 8mm Lebel for sale. Not sure about quantity available or condition. Just reread the listing - likely has dead primers from third world storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.