Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a matching Lebel 1886 M93. Nice rifle. Disassembled for cleaning purposes and discovered the barrel had been cut underneath the rear band. Based on the amount of debris and condition of the barrel, this was done a very long time ago.
Now I have a nice parts gun for anyone needing anything other than a barrel, like wood, it's real nice.
Was there a history or a reason for this?

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
WW1, Black Powder Metalic Cartridge, Contract Mausers
350 Posts
OMG that’s terrible! I hope you didn’t pay a lot for that, what a shame. Maybe somebody did it as a bring back? Even though it would be mismatched, I would seriously contemplate swapping in another barrel, at least it would be a complete functional gun? Now it’s just parts.

·
Copper Bullet member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I don't think the seller was aware of it. It was a fair amount of corrosion both low the wood line which sort of anchored the barrel in place. It would have taken a really long time for that to build up in such a way that when I took the band off I pulled the barrel away from the wood, to loosen up the barrel to action from the wood and that's when the barrel piece that was cut off came off in my hand. I imagine the look of my face was priceless... sad but priceless

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bought a matching Lebel 1886 M93. Nice rifle. Disassembled for cleaning purposes and discovered the barrel had been cut underneath the rear band. Based on the amount of debris and condition of the barrel, this was done a very long time ago.
Now I have a nice parts gun for anyone needing anything other than a barrel, like wood, it's real nice.
Was there a history or a reason for this?
WOW! Good thing U didn't fire it, you'd have been removing wood splinters for a while. I was looking at a Mannlicher M-95 one day at a shop I knew well. It had a funny little circle on the top of the receiver ring over the chamber. Closer examination showed someone had drilled a small hole, about 1/8 inch diameter,down into the chamber and then filled it with RTV black sealer! The shop owner was pissed, but not at me. Because of its rare crest I tried to buy it as a parts gun, but the owner didn't want any part of it.
VWMAN.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Will make a nice floor lamp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts