Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
10,240 Posts
Failing availability of an authentic Lebel mag tube, one can be fabricated from the appropriate diameter K&S Brass Tubing ( brass, thinwall), Illinois.
They have mailable 3 foot lengths of tubes of several wall thicknesses, in some metric and Mostly Inch diameters from 1/8th inch up to 1inch diameters , going by 32nds and 64ths steps. I have replaced a Kropatschek tube ( 8x56RKrop) with brass tubing found to be a close match, as a Lebel Tube is not much different from a Kropatschek one in dimensions.

And K&S are not expensive either.

Regards,
Doc AV

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The magazine of the Mle 1886 rifle (Lebel) is drilled directly in the wood of the forend, there is no brass or steel liner, but at the receiver end there is a very short tube holding the spring plug.

kelt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link, its an excellent reference. Does anyone have a close up of the magazine short tube itself and plug, or maybe know where I can find these parts? I have an all matching 1890 dated lebel, and this was all that was missing.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,155 Posts
I do not have any of these parts anymore, I must have used my last one in last restoration project.
I do not know of anyone that has any spare parts of the tube system.

Patrick

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
It can be replicated, providing you have a model to copy from, its made of two parts soldered together, the tube itself, choked at one end to hold the spring plug, and an underside "shoe" to lock it in the forend and hook the forend to the receiver.
Here is a drawing from an old 1905 document:

kelt

·
Copper Bullet member
105 Posts
I thought that it would be a hard part to maybe find. If anyone may have a spare, i will be interested. Would it be possible to replicate the tube by and expirienced machinist? Does anyone have any dimensions?
I do not have a spare, but I am willing to take my Lebel apart and measure the tube, retaining pin and piston. I already have closeup photos of these items. Just give me a little time to get the measurements.
The Lebel's tube is short because in field service it was found that a full-length metal tube like the Kropatschek tube was easily dented and so caused magazine feed problems.
sangle

·
Copper Bullet member
105 Posts
I have the dimensions, but need to clean up the drawings for the public. Probably do that later today. Do you have the piston as that seems to be more problematic than the tube?
sangle

Any dimensions greatly appreciated. The diagram is about as close as i've come to seeing the dimensions of the part. Thanks again for the photograph and any pics with info you can post.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,449 Posts
I would recommend that the part be made of brass for ease of machining and assembly. The tenon could then be soldered to the tube. Otherwise, the steel would have to be tinned first. Not impossible to do, but why go through all that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.