Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of these were produced? I can't seem to find much information about them,were they trials rifles or just experimentals? How rare are they and if one was to find one,what would one expect to pay?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
A small quantity of fusil Mle 1886 M27 (around 500) was built for testing by selected infantry units.

Most were chambered for the 7.5x58 cartridge (Mle 1924), in 1935 some Lebel Mle 27 were built or rebarreled for the 7.5x54 cartridge (Mle 1929) to be tested jointly with the Berthier Mle 34.

The cost of transformation of the lebel into Mle 27 was higher than the cost for the Berthier Mle 34, and the Lebel Mle 27 was not adopted.

kelt

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Mle 27 Lebel

Most were lost in WW 2, but occasionally one shows up....This one is 7,5x54mm...SE marked. "SE"==Service Etude I think..

Dale

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply. just 500???, I was thinking in the thousands,wow.How would one determine if the rifle was in the M24 cartridge or the later M27 cartridge?
Now suppose,just suppose,I knew where one might be and suppose,just suppose ( I watched a lot of Hawaii 5-0 as a kid), the shop doesn't yet realize what they have,what would be a reasonable price to offer them before they go and research that "French rifle thing"? I'm sure anything over the $50 they gave the old guy for it would be ok.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Tell by the serial number....

The last one that I know of being sold, was $3000.00. If the number is below 500 or so, and if a current 7,5x54mm round disappears in the chamber, then you have an early one from the 1927, if the the number is above 500, and the barrel date is in the 1930's, then you have a later model. I have never seen one with the full bayonet mounts installed, or a rondele on the stock...

I have only seen two in the flesh, #44 was from the 1920's and chambered for the Mle 24 cartridge, the one I posted above is 7XX and from 1934...

Dale

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the reply,serial number is #274 and the barrel date is 1930.The front band is as on a Lebel or Berthier,doesnt have a stacking hook and looks like it never did.No roundel on the stock,just the serial number.Looks like I got some horse trading to do.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Horse tradin's done. Here she is........No import marks of course,bolt doesn't match.She seems to be in 7.5 X 54 (at least the bolthead fits the rim perfectly,and the round seems to chamber properly) Bore is mint,looks unfired.Stock has some dings and dents,but very nice overall.Bluing has some scratches,but is very nice overall.

·
Registered
955 Posts
That one is the first model . Rear sight slides front to rear .
Probally in the 7.5x58mm caliber .
8mm mauser case may fit that is
why they changed to the 7.5x54 chambering .
You may want to make a chamber cast to see , before
firing it .
The earlier chambering you probally not going to find ammo for
may can make cases from some other round ?
That makes 3 I have seen now the wood
may have a niceier shade than the 2 I sold .
Very nice find and not often seen .
mcgoo

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
Wonderful!!

That is the second I've ever seen! K Gasior found one about 8 years ago in pristine condition. He paid $750 for it and sold it for $2400 on his site. It was beautiful!

dg13

1 - 9 of 9 Posts