Registered
20 Posts
According to Richard Law "Backbone of the Wehrmacht",

Berlin-SuhlerWffen-und Fahrzeugwerke (BSW) 131,956
ErfurterMaschinenfabrik (S27,27) 655,189
Berlin-Lubecker Maschinenfabrik (S237,237,duv) 879,333
Waffen Werke Brunn AG, Bystrica (dou.) 943,432
Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG (660, bnz.) 965,789

Everybody else made over a million. However, if you're asking for the rarest codes, that's a more involved question as production numbers by year come into play.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
According to Richard Law "Backbone of the Wehrmacht
I do not recommend utilizing BBOTW for production numbers as it is simply WRONG. . . Law based these figures on serial numbers reported by collectors rather than logic. Since this book was produced before any of the Russian-captured 98k's entered this country, the serial numbers of known specimens has since quintupled.

Having said that, bsw is indeed the scarcest code if you do not count the dual-codes (bcd/bnz, etc).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dennis,
Is there a better resourse now? Backbone is my one book on the k98k. I actually bought it from you back in 2002. Information has moved too fast for me ever since they finished the transcontinental railroad.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was BSW allowed to use BSW as their code???

That's wild, that's the smallest amount by far, but I've got a 237, I think, and I'll look for the others. Is there a better book now for this?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone seen any of these as RC's?

I've got some of the guns that came in prior to the RC's by about 4 years, too, not refinished, but with the nazi marks peened off. Are the RC's that are coming in now actually from Ukraine, or Russia? And were that earlier lot (also from the old soviet union, as I recall) from some other republic?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Law is still a must have, mistakes and all. Kind of like the wife. :D

If Law says it is a low production maker, then it probably still is, just not as low. Always fun to find where folks have (mostly RCs) found new high serials and then you can update your book. Or maybe its just me who does that. :)

Dual codes ax/ar, bcd/ar, etc. are always nice pick ups. Only 3 years for BSW so they are few and command a higher price, 1934 would be nice to have.

Plenty of favorites to go around.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
any 'K' code, any bSw, with the '37 bSw and the 337 '39 being rare as hens teeth. some dual codes, some wierd late ones are out there. ss ones. (watch fakes) thats a start for ya.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,749 Posts
My personal "desirable" rifles are the 'single-rune' rifles, and anything not K.98 marked manufactured in any of the occupied territories (G.29/40, G.33/40, G24(t), etc.) - I've got a 660 code G29/40 and a G24(t), still need the G.33/40... also the "depot" marked rifles, I have two of those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts