Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odie sent this out so I wouldn't have to deal with it at the airport. Pretty nice bayonet that is pretty much like the one pictured in Labar's book - only a little better :)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
Could you explain to the 'bookless' what it is and why it is special?:confused:

Not everyone has Ray's book, though they should.:)

Not for me, but for the un-washed dozens.;)

Nice bayonet.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This wasn't meant for them. If they are interested they will "man up" and ask "where do I get the books concerning this great stuff?" ;)

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,430 Posts
Jareth :

He didn't, I got to it first the day before and removed the screws with my trusty Swiss Army all in one tool to inspect the assembly numbers, put it all backwards just for him.
Besides the screws weren't staked so he couldn't tell i've been there. he, he, he. :)
Now he will have to sell it back to me at a loss.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jareth :

He didn't, I got to it first the day before and removed the screws with my trusty Swiss Army all in one tool to inspect the assembly numbers, put it all backwards just for him.
Besides the screws weren't staked so he couldn't tell i've been there. he, he, he. :)
Now he will have to sell it back to me at a loss.
Vicasoto
The screws have been turned but not by me or Yoda. And they ain't buggered very bad at all.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the frog is a beauty on this. It's all rubber coated canvas except for the leather hold down strap. It's hard as a rock but in excellent condition otherwise. The little strap is 100%
This is only my second Mukden bayonet. My other one is a LB-166

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mukden ball tip scabbard?
Both of mine have ball tipped scabbards.
The LB -166 has the eicircled "he" mark on the throat. I can't see any markings on the LB-169 throat.
Here's a couple of side by side photos. You can see that there is a difference in the shape of the two ball tips.
Just checked the scabbard section of Ray's book & the LB-169 scabbard has the flat frog band with the ball tip - says these are only found on Mukden bayonets. That's cool since it doesn't have the "he" mark like the earlier one. Correct scabbards on both :D

Photos are cool to load again - maybe I can stop bitching now ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Two great condition bayos and especially nice frog. Only two Mukden bayonets i have are 166 & 169, not as nice as yours but with UNTURNED SCREWS, so there!

166 also has the "he" on the almost blueless scabbard. 169 has the "he" on the crossguard as far to the rounded tip as possible, the rubberized frog, flat frog retainer loop, flattened ball tip and no inspector mark that I can find.

Other than the screws, yours are in much better shape than either of mine. congratulations

jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A Couple More Photos

Check out these squirley escutcheons on my 166.
And, in defense of my screws, another shot of the 169 grip. They ain't that bad ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
166 must have been a Monday or Saturday bayonet.

All books leave questions, it is just impossible to get it all right from observation; every week or so we learn more, or at least we think we learn more.;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Those screw slots aren't bad at all.

If you are refering to the offset holes in the escutcheons, I have others that are off center like that.

Must have inletted the blank washers into the wood, then drilled and tapped from the backside?

I have never seen a ruberized frog, or a leather one for that matter, in that gool a condition

jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those screw slots aren't bad at all.

If you are refering to the offset holes in the escutcheons, I have others that are off center like that.

Must have inletted the blank washers into the wood, then drilled and tapped from the backside?

I have never seen a ruberized frog, or a leather one for that matter, in that gool a condition

jim
Thanks Jim. I think you must be right about the escutcheons being drilled & tapped in place. I've seen others like these.
This may well be the nicest rubberized frog I have. Still, part of the appeal may be in it's coloring. It has a nice reddish hue where many have that washed out beige coloring.
Here are a couple of photos of the nicest leather frog I have and a couple more of a beige colored rubberized frog that's pretty nice. Note that it has a rubber coated strap. I think all others I've seen are leather. On this one the strap has never been moved & the metal parts still have the green paint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.