Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son of a %^&$*! I just got an LB-140, Toyoda early bayonet with the flipped arsenal symbol. It's a nice piece......except for the fact that some bunghole destroyed it as a collector's piece, at least in my opinion. I know you guys have all had these experiences where somebody says "EXCELLENT" condition, and then it really ain't. Well, I've had good luck until now. Either the seller is ignorant of what a Japanese bayonet is supposed to look like, or is was "under represented". The blade has had so much metal removed, it's literally about half as wide as a blade should be. Nice and super-shiny, I can't imagine an arsenal would have done that. My guess is that it was allowed to rot somewhere and somebody "de-rusted" and "de-pitted" the poor thing. I typically ask questions of my purchases, but I've never though to ask if the blades have been sheered to half their normal width! I just didn't pick up on it in the pics. Really pisses me off, I was looking forward to adding that one to my collection but he has a money back guarantee, so I think I'll be sending it back. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I figured part of that was the missing bayonet release, of which I have a replacement from another Toyoda bayonet, and the crappy, runny, black spray paint job on the scabbard but that can be removed. Oh well, nobody said life was fair. I just feel bad for the bayonet being ruined like that. :(

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,380 Posts
Dang, I had completely forgotten about the "flipped" figure within the diamond. I just remembered the difference in the size of the symbol.
Until just a few years ago I was almost, but not quite, as ignorant as the Rodent about bayonets & didn't care to learn more. Now, I've got around 30.
Here's my LB-140 & 140A

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This bayonet is back up for sale on the "e" site. If anybody wants this one, just be warned - the blade is really ground down - probably in an effort to remove serious pitting and rust. The blade is literally half the width of a normal blade it had so much metal removed. The seller did honor his refund policy, but fails to mention how much metal is missing from the blade - indicates it looks like it might have been sharpened....that's an understatement. I urged him to disclose the truth about it, wonder if he will....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it sold for a lot more than I originally paid for it. Who knows what conversations transpired between seller and buyer, but I'd imagine buyer is gonna be a bit disappointed. The seller mentions "looks like might have been sharpened" - he's so full of crap - he knows damn well what happened to this blade, totally dishonest on this sale, at least in the description. I even gave the dude positive feed back for living up to the return policy but he didn't bother to reciprocate the favor despite instant payment and his admission that the transaction was just fine - "that's life" was his reply. What a bung-hole.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260337764360

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.