Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whim, I purchased another M91/30 - (funny how they multiply isn't it?). I was in one of the local Big5 stores, and noticed what appeared to a lone half way decent looking M91/30.

I was very short on time, so I just quickly looked it over. The barrel and the stock looked better than the typical M91/30 that comes out of the Big5 stores around here, and all of the parts matched, so I went ahead and bought it. I also noticed that it had a brass or brass colored hand guard end cap. Original Manufacture date was 1940.

It was only after I got it home that I realized that something was different about the crown of the bore. On this particular rifle, the crown was colored/finished exactly the same as the rest of the barrel itself, while on all of my other Mosins, the crown of the bore is either polished (silver colored) or perhaps capped with a silver cap/crown. I know next to nothing about how bore crowns are manufactured or refurbished, so I don’t know what the significance of this is, if anything.

Does anyone else have a Mosin Nagant rifle with the bore crown appearing to have the same blue finish as the rest of the bore? Could this be an indication of incomplete barrel refurbishment on a Mosin in particular?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,526 Posts
From what I've seen, it's not all that uncommon for refurbs to have blue on the crown.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Agree with bones, not uncommon. Perhaps a re-crown at re-firb then a re-blue of the whole mess. See this more with Finn M-39s, however.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm....so maybe it's just a shortcut or cheaper alternative to the polished crown perhaps? As long as it doesn't have an adverse impact on accuracy, I guess I won't mind.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have seen a few like this, but they have all been '46 - '48 M44s that appear to NOT have been re-blued.

I would be really interested to see what the bluing looks like on the rifle conanld.

If this one was not re-crowned, it could possibly mean it was not refinished, or could just be that someone simply missed that one during the re-crowning step. Anyway... pics please.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife is off on a so called scrap booking trip with some friends, and she has our only camera. When she returns I'll send some picks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would the refurb mark look like?

I've already taken some photos, but now I discover that they are apparently far too large to upload, so I guess I won't be sending any pictures. Too bad, I spent some time getting them together too.

LD

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK one more try.

This time I found a program that I could use to crop the pictures. Hopefully this will work now.

The lighting was a bit unfavorable on one of the bore shots. The reflected light almost makes the bore to appear to have the silver polished appearance, even though that is not the case.

This particular rifle I paid 79 dollars for at Big5. However, I also paid a very high price to obtain an M38 which I didn't yet have. I had to pay the Big5 non sales price for that at 179 dollars. It was one of those rifles in the back room.

Ouch!

LD

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took some other pictures, so I thought that I would send some of them along as well. Here's some shots of some of my other "babies". An M44, another M91/30, and the rather expensive M38 that I recently picked up.

LD

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Very nice 91/30, and for $79, defintely worth it.

If you do not mind me asking, why did you elect to pay the full price for the M-38?:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a C&R, so my opportunities are limited essentially to Big5 and gun shows.

Transfers are difficult, time consuming, and quite expensive for me, so I usually don't bother with them. The guns shows around here have been nearly void of mil surp, and when they do show up they seem to be quite expensive, certainly more so than the Big5 non-sale price.

So that leaves mostly just Big5. I can only purchase what they carry, and over the last year they have not had anything other than M44's and M91/30's on sale. They did have a short time sale on M59’s, but good luck trying to get one. They were sold out almost as soon as they got off the truck.

Occasionally they will have something a little different in their inventory. I saw a Turkish Mauser that I almost bought, and there was the M38 that I picked up. Things like M39's I can only dream about, with little chance of ever landing one.

LD

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
OK, I appreciate Big5's, too. My latest acquistion, a 91/59 came from them a couple of weeks ago. I first saw it over a month ago, and decided to wait for it to go on sale. (Full price was ~$219, sale price was $139?) Anyway, that was a long wait...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one "problem" to overcome with the Big5's in my area. Several locals have told me that there is an individual, or maybe even a dealer who has it in good with the Big5 management. Apparently this person has dibs on things first, and I (and everyone else) only get his rejects that were stored away in the back room. Of course there are the really bad rifles still on display on the floor!

Maybe that’s why I never had a chance when it came to the M59s. I don't know if all of that is true or not, but it sure seems like it must be, because you really have to be on your toes to walk out with a good rifle here of late. It wasn't like that several months ago. This seems to be a relatively new and bothersome phenomenon.

LD

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have one "problem" to overcome with the Big5's in my area. Several locals have told me that there is an individual, or maybe even a dealer who has it in good with the Big5 management. Apparently this person has dibs on things first, and I (and everyone else) only get his rejects that were stored away in the back room. Of course there are the really bad rifles still on display on the floor!

Maybe that’s why I never had a chance when it came to the M59s. I don't know if all of that is true or not, but it sure seems like it must be, because you really have to be on your toes to walk out with a good rifle here of late. It wasn't like that several months ago. This seems to be a relatively new and bothersome phenomenon.

LD
Same with the "Dumbhands" in my area. The store managers should be fired if this can be proven, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The laminated Tula 91/30 that I got from AIM came with a blued crown.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Unusual 91-30

Has this rifle been counter-bored ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The deals you can find at Big 5 are amazing. If it wasn't for them I probably would not have a Mosin. Great place, when there is a sale on.

I have a ton of fun with my M44.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,127 Posts
I have one "problem" to overcome with the Big5's in my area. Several locals have told me that there is an individual, or maybe even a dealer who has it in good with the Big5 management....
Not sure where you are, BUT I do have that reputation around here. Not a dealer, just a Mosin Fanatic:eek: Wascily Wabbits!:D

Nice 1940 Izevsk! My first Mosin as well!

Gary

1 - 20 of 25 Posts