Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know at what point did the leftover 28/30 rear sights ceased to be installed on the M39? These are the sights that lack the "3", 300 meter notation. My M39 is a straight stock, s/n 203727 and still lacks the 3.

· Registered
816 Posts
Wolfsburg,
That is a nice looking Straight "stock" as well...I have never seen one as light in grain...have several dark oily looking stocks...handsome yes but not showing grain like yours...very nice.
Flakshield

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess we now know that it falls somewhere in the 2200 rifles between mine and Kriggevaer's. Thanks for posting, Krig!

Thanks for the compliments Flakshield. It does have a lighter grain to it. I've had it a while but I've yet to take the time to get some good outdoor shots of it. I need to do that.

I really like how it shows use (but not abuse). You can particularly see wear in the hand grip area.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Acutus!

I did a search here on the forums and encountered a board member (kikir) who has s/n 204004 and it has a "3" on the rear sight base. So I guess the change occured somewhere in the 276 between mine and his. Of course this is all assuming the "3"-less bases appeared consecutively until supplies ran out and did not skip around.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=72436&highlight=straight+m39

· Registered
153 Posts
I have 3 mosin Nagants.. 2 of em are long rifles with a old scope and the third is a russian made (got a hammer and cicle on the reciever) carbine. I used to have four but GAVE one away to a really cheapass friend that whined until I gave him the gun. Anyway, I disliked all of my mosins until I customized (just a little) my carbine..I took a hack saw to the bayonnet mount and cut it off, took off the metal butt plate and put on a nice recoil pad then ordered adjustable peep sites from Mojo sites. These sights are completely Adjustable windage and elevation. I put on the rear peep site and went to the range. My first Shot was under the tarket at 50 yards with the peep adjusted dead in the middle. I then took a file and filed down the front post until the the elevation was correct for the peep site. Now I have full elevation with the weapon zero at fifty yards. At 100 yards, all I needed to do was give the peep site 6 clicks of elevation and the gun placed the next 20 rounds in a five inch circle.. That is pretty Good for me and iron peep sights. Now I like my Nagant Carbine so well I bought dies for it and I am getting some pretty good results with bullet speed using a 150 grain .311 dia 303 british sierra bullets. Now to chop up my nagants sniper rifles! Buwahahahaha.....

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,112 Posts
It's anyone's guess how inventory's were controlled. Older series parts may have been covered with new inventory and stuck at the the bottom of the bin or bottom of the bucket for a long long time before the bucket was ever emptied or before that last part got used up. So inventories of older series parts may not have gotten used up for many months after the intruduction of the new style part.

· Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,234 Posts
I think I have one on my Tikkakoski M39. I'll have to check when I get home.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Manufacturter is VKT, stock is post war repacemant.

· Platinum Bullet Member
3,665 Posts
Was curious too. The same thing happened with 1903 Springfields when there was a parts revision, kind of followed a pattern, but hard to pinpoint when exactly changes happened. You kind of get an idea, and then some SN shows up and defies the "logic".

My Sako #201280 has no "3"
Sako #222029 does have the "3"
All my #503XXX SKY rifles have the "3"

Cheers, John.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.