Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months back my Century rep called, and he told me they had a sale going on 91/30s. The way he works is in the beginning of the month when the sales start he doesn't know what he's selling, and he says so, but as the month progresses he gets feedback, and he passes it on to his customers, so they have a better idea of what they're buying. Sounds like you should wait, and buy at the end of the month, BUT sometimes stuff sells out - specially the really good deals. You might wind up with nothing at all.

Well it was the beginning of the month, and Mosin Nagants were $59 each. I thought, "What the hell? I can always sell them if I don't like them, right?" I ordered 20. Among the garden-variety 1940s MNs I found these:

This was the first big surprise. This is an all-matching rifle, and the bore is clean and sharp. I figured that was it. Good enough for one haul. I'd sell the rest once I unpacked them.

Wrong!

Not too uncommon, but I didn't have one. I decided to keep this one too. Surely there would be no more keepers.

1929 Izhvesk. All matching

3 keepers out of one blind batch from Century? They must not have sorted this lot.

Then it happened.

In the last box I found these:

1927 and 1928 years. Somebody tell me what these are? What's up with the Russian text? I felt like going out and buying lottery tickets, because this was clearly my lucky day. Over the past two months I've sold off a few of the rest of the rifles, but these and this one:

which I showed on another thread are staying with me. Six keepers out of a blind lot of 20. I'm amazed.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
So...it would be pointless to ask if you have any interesting ones left for sale?

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
shouldn't the 1928 izhevsk have a wreath on the reciever, too? 28 was the last year they used the bow and arrow for the arsenal mark, too. not bad for a blind shot in the dark. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
You should check the Tang dates.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
congrats on your good fortune Podno....now get out and SHOOT some....
Hey old friend. Unfortunately since my daughter was born 16 months ago I almost never get to shoot. In fact I was pulling out some 1943 MN's to get rid of, and a spider walked out of one of the bores where it had made a nest. The best I can do right now is try to accumulate the ones I want along with a tremendous pile 'o ammo, so when they run out of 7.62x54, I'll be able to shoot my Mosin-Nagants.

nwellons said:
I'm surprised you don't know since you are buying Mosins in quantity.

Spend a little time at these sites and you will be amazed at what else you can learn:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/

http://7.62x54r.net/
I actually looked through both of those sites, but was unable to find what those receiver marks mean or what kind of rifle they're on. 762x54r does have nice photos of the marks, but with no indication of what they're on not to mention it didn't say what the marks meant, or whether they're on other rifles, while mosin-nagant.net underwent a redesign last year, and now I can't find much on it anymore.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,486 Posts
From http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRef02.htm on the 7.62 site, the Russian text on your rifle read Izhevsk Ordinance Factory.

The translation of the marks is verbatim, under the photos. I've found that section very helpful since I collect M91's with marks from six arsenals plus many variations of those marks.

At least on 91/30's you have only two arsenals. The Russian text is found on Dragoon rifles converted to 91/30's.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Wow...great deal. I just got my Century catalog in the mail and the cheapest Mosins are $79.00 and the hex are now $149.00. I did not see any for $59.00 in the catalog or online today. Of course I only have an 03 and there may be better deals that I can't see.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
meyerse said:
Understood, I was just supprised how much higher they are now.
Their prices fluctuate with no apparrent reasons. My rep called me once last year with $30 "cracked stock" M95s. He said that customers were reporting that the rifles' stocks were fine. I rolled the bones and bought 12. Of the 12 only two had damaged stocks, and one I replaced for $40. It shoots very well these days - when I can buy ammo.

The same happened with their $20 UFIXEM Savage Enfields. They were complete rifles but with no bolt. A Savage bolt cost $50 from Reich Outfitters. One of the three had a badly rusted barrel under the wood, but the other two are fine rifles now - for $70 each.

"Cracked stock" M1 Carbines were $450 last year. None of them have cracked stocks. Just the usual dings and dents.

UFIXEM CZ52s were $100 two years ago. They all work fine. That reminds me I need more ammo, before the price goes up more.

If you have a C&R on file with Century, and you have a good sales rep assigned to you, you'll fall into all kinds of deals. Sometimes you land a stinker, and you have to be willing to take the chance that the cracked-stock special will REALLY have a cracked stock. Century won't accept returns if you buy a cracked-stock special then discover that it has a cracked stock.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Love hearing about people getting good deals for little money from Century. It really helps balance out the complaints from people bitching that there aren't any good deals on cool stuff any more...because as you discovered, there sure as hell are!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, getting deals from Century seems to be all about having a good sales rep. Mine is Dave Kennedy, and he's one wacky dude, but he's a great guy to talk to, and he calls and lets me know when they have special deals. Now I'm under no illusion: He certainly calls his heavy-hitter customers, before he calls me, and that's the way it should be. Likewise he probably puts me before the guys who buy one gun a year, because I sometimes buy in lots like the above buys.

Frankly usually the big-lot buys end up with me getting a free gun or two, because I try to keep a constant number of guns in my collection now that space is an issue, so I usually sell as many guns as I take in (over the following year or so), and with the price of guns rising I sell at today's prices rather than the prices when I bought the guns. Likewise sometimes when I buy a big lot they just up and give me a bulk discount without my even requesting it. Those prices they list on their website are not usually what I end up getting - but again only if I buy in quantities.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.