Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
855 Posts
To bad you can't purchase a US rifle/rifles and import to NZ. As I recall even "antiques" are difficult to import. Several years ago I made a deal with a NZ collector to import 11 or his Boer Mausers into the US, sell them here and share the profit. At the time they weren't too high $ in NZ.

Anyway, we did the deal and import into the US was rather simple but he warned me that I/we better do it right because it was next to impossible for them to go back into NZ if they got stuck in US customs.

OTOH it seems MG's were no big deal in NZ unlike here, at least once you are "permit" 'ed to have firearms. He told me he secured a couple cases of old WW2 .45 ammo from a neighbor who found it in an old building. He purchased a Thompson SMG for a few 100$, shot up the ammo and then sold the SMG.....sounded good to me. He visited me here once. I'd love to visit NZ myself.

Jack

BTW. Something makes me think your Argentine came from Peru. We had some similar crested M91's come into the US from Peru back in the mid 90's as I recall. Both Peruvian and Argentine crests. Stock reinforcement also more typical for Peru but not common on Argentines. As I recall, that S-series bolt may be from a Peruvian series M91? Maybe, could be wrong? Most were pretty rough but I managed to secure a couple about as nice as yours.

Edit: Yea, I think I'm right. See M1891 Peruvian data base thread below. They are in the S & W series(not Smith and Wesson) :)

· Registered
855 Posts
I would not replace the bolt! All three things, intact crest, S-series bolt and stock bolt suggest it's true ID(Peru). It is what it is. I like it better than the average ground Argentine rifle even with it's warts/stock damage. I have zero doubt it came from Peru. I recall a table of "the" importer from Peru with at least 25 rifles, mostly Peruvian crest w/Lange sights/SIG barrels but several exactly like this example. At the time I understood exactly how these early 91's found their way to Peru but I forget?(May be hidden in Webster?)

I might consider stock repair, drill holes and plug with walnut......?

I would Not replace the bolt!

Jack

PS. I would NOT replace the bolt!

I've found that whenever tempted to mess with a rifle, to "make it better":

DON'T

Maybe minor stock repair exempted? MAYBE?

Oh BTW, I WOULD NOT REPLACE THAT S- SERIES BOLT!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.