Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Sorry to be a downer, but I hope you didn't pay a lot for that one. It has a lot of problems in my eyes. The cleaning rod is mismatched as well, the wrist repair, the stock damage, the hodgepodge of parts. I'd say that's a $150 rifle, and that's if you're desperate for one. The crest is the only good thing about that rifle. You could find much better, almost perfect, examples in the $300-$350 range. Having said all that, I'm not sure that the stock has been force matched and I wouldn't worry about the mismatched bolt from a shooting perspective - mine is mismatched and is a tack driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,822 Posts
I would not replace the bolt! All three things, intact crest, S-series bolt and stock bolt suggest it's true ID(Peru). It is what it is. I like it better than the average ground Argentine rifle even with it's warts/stock damage. I have zero doubt it came from Peru. I recall a table of "the" importer from Peru with at least 25 rifles, mostly Peruvian crest w/Lange sights/SIG barrels but several exactly like this example. At the time I understood exactly how these early 91's found their way to Peru but I forget?(May be hidden in Webster?)

I might consider stock repair, drill holes and plug with walnut......?

I would Not replace the bolt!

Jack

PS. I would NOT replace the bolt!

I've found that whenever tempted to mess with a rifle, to "make it better":

DON'T

Maybe minor stock repair exempted? MAYBE?

Oh BTW, I WOULD NOT REPLACE THAT S- SERIES BOLT!
What is it about the S numbered bolts that makes you think it is Peruvian? My M/1891 is an all-matching S series except for the bolt, which is also an S series but numbered 75 ahead of the rest of my rifle.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Hi Antonio,

Checking Webster, I find that the following rifles went to Argentina, not Peru:
1899 53,000 (all of) O5000-T7999
1900-1901 16,000 (half of) T8000-W9999
(page 109)

So my Argentine rifle K4875 is in Argentine stock T5446. That solves that question.

Page 125 says Peru got 16,000 rifles and bayonets, with half the rifles from unassembled lots. They were to have been from the U, V, and W blocks which had been shipped to Buenos Aires. They were returned to Germany where the Argentine crest was removed and the Peruvian crest applied. Plans were modified at some point because some R and S block rifles have been found with Peruvian crests. All rifles had the flat sight; Preuvian rifles had the sight replaced by the Lange sight in 1912 for spitzer ammo. Argentina's deal with DWM was that Argentine involvement in the Peruvian contract was to be kept secret.

Of course there were still a few earlier Argentine rifles that somehow found themselves in Peru. I think we can say that any M1891 rifle with an Argentine crest found in Peru is one of this group of 'strangers', not a part of the 16,000 contract rifles, all of which had Peruvian crests. These 'strangers' would have first been in Argentina and later in Peru.

Regards,
Bill
I can't wait to get my copy of Webster's book, which should arrive in the mail today. So much to learn/read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.