Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hi johosjokers :

Many of these late rifles were brought home in a duffle bag and that required removal of the stock from the action. In these late rifles a shim had been placed between the stock and forend which was trapped in place by the rear barrel band, that was how the the looseness was taken out. At the time of disassembly this shim fell out or was lost. It is only now that the missing piece is appreciated and its loss felt. You can correct that by cutting pieces of card stock in the gap before sliding the rear band in place.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Yoda, where did you get your information for this theory?
I'd suspect any shims were added by later owners to correct the rattle.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hi Adogs :

That was what Ralph Allen & Ike Kessler mentioned on the subject, that the shims were either leather or wood. So I just offered it as a quick means to correct the problem not as Arisaka History or dogma . So if collectors were smart enough to correct the problem so much the better. So it isn't a right and wrong issue and if that makes you better " So Be It " .
As the song said " whether am right or whether i'm wrong ....... just be you, they like you that way !
Vicsoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Well, it may be so. My 10th series rattles like crazy and it's screws are still staked. Having worked with wood I figured that the wood may have shrunk over the years on some of these "last ditch" rifles causing them to get more looser.

I miss ol Ralph and Ike. I used to see Ike at the Great Western with his small green backpack always taking notes. I never saw him buy anything. Same is true of Larry Johnson at the Oklahoma shows I'd always see & chat with him but never saw him buy anything.
I wonder what ever happened to Blake Clore? I'd see him at the OK shows as well always having around 6 Japanese rifles hanging on his shoulders by their original slings

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,567 Posts
My late rifles have stock pieces that are not from the same piece of wood (if that makes sense). I thought these substitute rifles were made with three piece stocks, counting the short upper handguard as one piece, and the two piece stock. The fore piece is trapped in the front band. I could see where a shim would be placed to get rid or stock rattle.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I've never seen an "original" shim and very few that have had something added later.

T94, what are you doing taking staked rifles apart? The "stake" police will be after you!:p

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
I'm surprised a collector of significant, rare variations such as the two nail wood butt plate doesn't have an original shim in his advanced collection.
I probably do but ain't going to take them apart to find out :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.