Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from a friend that had traded for a late war k block polish vis 35. I took some quick pics as I literally had 10 minutes to get back to work. It does have some pitting. I don’t know if it is just a very late gun, but the markings on the slide are so faint or maybe if it has been refinished. The trigger guard is rather crude as well. I did not disassemble the gun but external numbers were matching. I don’t know if the grips were right for this block either? Just trying to get some inputs as far as value and if it looks to be correct just a late war gun. My friend is not into military guns at all and is wanting me to buy it from him but prices are all over. Thanks Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
The gun looks correct to me. The pitting on the left side hurts the value. IMHO I would pay him $400 to $500 in my region, but that is just me. I am not sure where you are located. Others will opine.
John

·
Registered
316 Posts
Finish looks original to me. Grips look original, not sure if they are proper for the date of the gun, but at that time in the war they were using just about anything they had (most 2nd Alpha K-blocks have wood grips). Assuming the internal numbers match as well, I’d say around $800 would be a good deal. $1000-1200 is more on the middle-high side of pricing on them IMHO. The blued and not phosphate finish does knock rather a lot off the value.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have a mid war Vis and I would be happy with that one! I like having an example of early and late war to see the contrast.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
60,026 Posts
Finish looks original to me. Grips look original, not sure if they are proper for the date of the gun, but at that time in the war they were using just about anything they had (most 2nd Alpha K-blocks have wood grips). Assuming the internal numbers match as well, I’d say around $800 would be a good deal. $1000-1200 is more on the middle-high side of pricing on them IMHO. The blued and not phosphate finish does knock rather a lot off the value.
Actually, I would be inclined to say the reverse is true. There are not many (original) blued finish Radoms in the 2nd K series.

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
The most common 'problem' you will find with Radoms is non-period-correct grips.

Back when these pistols came into the country, the plastic grips were really easy to get, cost only a couple of dollars, and few Radom owners really wanted those dowdy-looking, indistinctly stamped wood grips on their Radoms. At the time, correctness was not much of a thing, either.

My guess is that a HUGE percentage of the Radoms that came into the country had the grips swapped out by their first owners.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would have figured wood grips this late.....
That is my thought as well; however, the grips on this one do appear to have the correct later war large grip screws, so really could go either way.

Actually, I would be inclined to say the reverse is true. There are not many (original) blued finish Radoms in the 2nd K series.
I agree that there are fewer blued 2nd K series Radoms, but look at the market. Phosphate examples go for 2-3k while blued examples are only 1-2k at most. A very nice blued example sold for 1k on GB a few weeks back even. Rarity does not always equal value.

·
60,026 Posts
I agree that there are fewer blued 2nd K series Radoms, but look at the market. Phosphate examples go for 2-3k while blued examples are only 1-2k at most. A very nice blued example sold for 1k on GB a few weeks back even. Rarity does not always equal value.
That is true. I think such is because of 2 factors - (1) people are afraid of re-blues; (2) people do not have enough knowledge to know the difference. There are very few books on Radoms out there.

I have 2 bnz marked Radoms - one is phosphate, the other is blued.

Then go to the 'blank' slide Radoms. What book shows a picture of them? (I have 2 of them.)

·
Gold Bullet member
13,581 Posts
Blued second K blocks are very scarce. The grips could be wood and likely so. Find another one for as cheap as a K phosphote. I have collected them for 30 years plus and I have seen 50 phoshate guns in second K as blue. I paid up for mine. Show me a cheaper replacement.

·
60,026 Posts
Blued second K blocks are very scarce. The grips could be wood and likely so. Find another one for as cheap as a K phosphote. I have collected them for 30 years plus and I have seen 50 phoshate guns in second K as blue. I paid up for mine. Show me a cheaper replacement.
I have seen a blued Radom in the 2nd K within 10 numbers of starting the 2nd K. Most of the ones I have seen though are within a certain section of the 2nd K numbering. I need more blued ones at the low prices. ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments. I ended up picking it up on my lunch for $700. I am very happy with my score!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts