Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbo Archie's thread on the late war Type-14 inspired me to take a few photos of some of the late war, last ditch and souvenir mags that I have in my collection. Keeping in mind that by very late 20.6 date the factory at Toriimatsu was using up parts from the various other factory's that they had received as a measure to put out Type-14's with what they had left. These pistols are all miss-matched and carry parts from many of the other factory's but most carry the a final acceptance inspection mark (late war), and then there are those 20.7 and 20.8 dates with no final inspection mark (last ditch), and then lastly are those pistols that were put together after the war as souvenirs by either Japanese workers wanting to make a few Yen or by the liberating G.I.s (souvenir). And as shown with Turbo Archie's 20.7 they were even using up remaining Type-94 parts that were left over when production of the Type-94 ceased in 20.6.
This first mag is a early Type III or IV mag body, with a late war blued follower. Also note how the serial number had been removed and one can just see part of the "TO" inspection
mark.
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Tints and shades
Wood Household hardware Gas Cylinder Metal
Wood Metal Composite material Fashion accessory Hardwood

The next mag is a standard Type VIII mag but with a round follower button that looks like an unfinished Type-94 Type-IV follower button.
Wood Automotive tire Font Auto part Metal
Household hardware Gas Rectangle Tints and shades Metal

This one is likely a G.I. souvenir made. Type-VIII mag body with Type-III mag base.
Brown Wood Material property Wood stain Rectangle
Brown Wood Wood stain Composite material Hardwood
Wood Household hardware Door Material property Rectangle

·
Diamond Member
1,057 Posts
I am in total agreement with the comments by "type-14" regarding Last Ditch and Souvenir magazines. They are a very interesting rare magazine variation. The three magazines shown are from (L-R) a 20.8-date, a Souvenir, and a 20.7-date. All are of very crude construction, made-up of available parts, and without the "NA" final inspection mark. The left mag is in-the-white and has brass pins installed. The center mag only has one side drilled for pins, has brass pins installed, and has an earlier bright follower and button. The right mag has very late 3+MM crudely-stamped numbers.
Wood Automotive tire Grey Rectangle Gas
Automotive lighting Rectangle Gas Wood Circle
Automotive tire Rim Font Gas Circle

·
Administrator
3,266 Posts
They aren't actually dated are they? Its from research that you can tell?

Fascinating subject by the way :)

Ed

·
Diamond Member
1,057 Posts
Ed,

No, mags were not dated. We know from observational record-keeping that standard T14 production procedures broke-down near the end of 20.6 (last 1xx pistols produced) which is the beginning of what collectors call "Last Ditch" production. Last Ditch production is those pistols without the final inspection mark "NA" in the A position (to the right/below the date code) and which contain any mix of marked or unmarked parts - literally "parts guns" made to function. Approximately 1.1K serialized LD pistols were produced and dated beginning in late 20.6 through 20.8. In addition, collectors are aware of an unknown number (there are at least a couple dozen reported examples) of "Souvenir" pistols put-together after the war with miscellaneous available parts. Many of the LD and Souvenir pistols could have magazines also made-up of available parts (some undoubtedly used left-over/available serialized/inspected loose mags). No one knows for sure how many LD mags were assembled, but, since we know that at least 1.1K LD pistols were produced, we can surmise that around 1K or so LD mags could be found. Regardless, not many have surfaced based upon over 80 reported LD pistol examples - most of which could have LD mags - and, they are highly-prized by T14 collectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.