Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
Nice! 👍. I like that S&W as well. What model is it? I’ve always been a big fan of Smith & Wesson

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! 👍. I like that S&W as well. What model is it? I’ve always been a big fan of Smith & Wesson
Big fan of the Smiths myself, another area my money goes to. It's a Model 36-6 target model, 3" full underlug barrel and blue bead blast finish. 1 of 615 made.
The toyo had to be made just when the bomb went off.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I stumbled on this Toyo Kogyo about 10 years ago - I still think it might be the highest known serial number, at least by way of photographic evidence. Don Voigt's book lists the reported serial number range for the 35th series as "35 to 58,405" but the data sheet/feature table that follows ends at 56608. Seems highly improbable that if 58,405 does exist, no one has reported detailed information for any rifle in the 57,xxx or 58,xxx range in any publication that I can find. I did ask Don for a photo of 58,405 and recall him telling me that the reporter did not provide one.
Water Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Window
Bicycle part Wood Cylinder Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Rectangle Line
Wood Automotive tire Rim Font Plant
Bicycle part Gas Rim Auto part Wire
Wood Fixture Gas Household hardware Composite material

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stumbled on this Toyo Kogyo about 10 years ago - I still think it might be the highest known serial number, at least by way of photographic evidence. Don Voigt's book lists the reported serial number range for the 35th series as "35 to 58,405" but the data sheet/feature table that follows ends at 56608. Seems highly improbable that if 58,405 does exist, no one has reported detailed information for any rifle in the 57,xxx or 58,xxx range in any publication that I can find. I did ask Don for a photo of 58,405 and recall him telling me that the reporter did not provide one.
View attachment 3924032 View attachment 3924034 View attachment 3924035 View attachment 3924036 View attachment 3924037 View attachment 3924038
I bet you do have the highest number. Both our rifles have the mum also, I wonder how they escaped the mum grinder. It's great knowing we have the last ones made. TK quality also seems to be higher than the other arsenals last ditches.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
These are some beautiful rifles. I think this tiny sampling of late numbers lends credence to Erniesq thoughts that the 56000 range is the end of production.
All the late 35th rifles posted here seem to have excellent fit and finishes, but the only other 35th I have is pretty crude by comparison. Unlike Jinsens (and maybe Howas), which seem to be all uniformly crude, there seems to be some nicely finished late 35ths mixed in with the typical substitute finishes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet, I see we're both addicted.
All the late 35th rifles posted here seem to have excellent fit and finishes, but the only other 35th I have is pretty crude by comparison. Unlike Jinsens (and maybe Howas), which seem to be all uniformly crude, there seems to be some nicely finished late 35ths mixed in with the typical substitute finishes.
I have a couple Kokura's that fit the crude category also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts